UA ‘superpowers’ ready for faculty recital

Brian Luce, a professor at the UA School of Music and flutist, will perform with other music professors at the recital Music of the Superpowers on Monday at 7 p.m.
    Brian Luce, a professor at the UA School of Music and flutist, will perform with other music professors at the recital “”Music of the Superpowers”” on Monday at 7 p.m.

Brian Luce, an assistant professor in the UA School of Music, is scheduled to perform at the faculty recital “”Music of the Superpowers”” along with bassoonist William Dietz, harpist Carrol McLaughlin and pianist Rex Woods. The musicians will be performing music from the U.S. and the Soviet Union.

Luce received his dissertation in the music of the Soviet Union, but has interests in American music, as well.

“”I enjoy a lot of American music,”” Luce said. “”[American music] is so eclectic. It has many different things to offer.””

While growing up and living on a ranch with his family in the White Mountains, Luce was exposed to live Western music.

“”I am equally comfortable listening to Johnny Cash as I am listening to Mozart,”” Luce said. “”Good music is good music, it doesn’t matter what type it is.””

As a child, he was first attracted to the flute when he saw an interview with Irish-born flutist James Galway on “”The Johnny Carson Show.””

“”It just turned out I had a talent for the flute,”” Luce said. “”Because of circumstances, now this is what I’m doing for a living,”” he said.

Luce, who was born and raised in Arizona and teaches flute at the UA, plans for the energy on stage to be very animated and anything but a standstill performance.

“”I’m not different than any other performer in the sense that there’s a two-way communication with the audience,”” Luce said. “”The audience is the reason we’re there in the first place.””

Although Luce has won an array of awards at events such as the National Flute Association Young Artist Competition and the Myrna Brown Young Artist Competition, his most memorable career moment happened on the UA campus about two years ago.

His then-1-year-old was rooting for him backstage. As Luce played his final number, he heard his son shout out, “”Dad! Dad!”” lending to what he now considers one his fondest moments as a musician.

Luce explained that the most challenging part of “”teaching the craft”” is to know that people are very different and acknowledge the different cultural lines. This aspect, he said, was what took him away from the study of hard sciences, his initial concentration, and into music.

“”As a teacher, you learn equally if not more,”” Luce said. “”It’s incredibly rewarding as well as challenging.””

“”Music of the Superpowers”” will be held at Crowder Hall in the School of Music building Monday at 7:30 p.m. Admission is free.