“Students, faculty react to S. Dakota ban on abortion”

Student reaction varied widely to the news of a South Dakota lawmaker’s bill to ban abortion in the state, but whether the ban will cause the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade is anyone’s guess, students said.

“”I couldn’t believe that a state would actually ban abortion,”” said Almira Rezaimalek, a molecular and cellular biology sophomore.

Rezaimalek said she believed a state ban on abortion gives the government too much control over women’s bodies.

“”I don’t think it’s for the government to decide,”” Rezaimalek said.

Other students think states should have the right to ban abortion.

“”I’m glad it’s taking place and that South Dakota is challenging what’s set down as law,”” said Tara Jackson, a biochemistry senior. “”I have my beliefs. It’s a belief system and not necessarily law, but we have laws against killing people and I see babies, unborn fetuses, as people.””

Sen. Karen Johnson (R-District 18) said she is happy with the decision in South Dakota, but she doesn’t believe it will happen in Arizona.

Despite a firm majority of Republicans in

I think it’s kind of shocking for America to come up with such measures. I’m pleasantly surprised.

– Mark Tang,
    economics senior

both houses, Johnson blames pro-choice Republicans for the inability to pass legislation similar to that in South Dakota here in Arizona.

Mark Tang, an economics senior, said he doesn’t believe a ban on abortion by the Supreme Court would be wise.

“”It doesn’t solve the complexities of the issue,”” Tang said. “”I think it’s kind of shocking for America to come up with such measures. I’m pleasantly surprised.””

Chad Westerland, an associate professor of political science, said whether the case will be heard by the Supreme Court or be decided at a lower court is still unknown.

“”There are certainly states that would act immediately to outlaw abortion,”” Chad Westerland. “”Before Roe v. Wade, 46 of the 50 states basically prohibited abortion.””

Rep. Phil Lopes, D-Tucson, said Arizona could one day outlaw abortion in the state with a law like South Dakota’s.

“”I’ve been in the legislature for four years now, I’ve seen how they (pro-life legislators) are slowly eroding a woman’s right to choose,”” Lopes said.

He said with a Republican majority, the legislature has passed legislation that has made it progressively more difficult for a woman to have an abortion in Arizona.

“”If we continue with this trend, I think it is possible,”” Lopes said.

Rezaimalek said she’s concerned that state bans of abortions could lead to illegal and unsafe abortions and women crossing state lines for an abortion.

“”It’s an ongoing problem. We’ll probably never come to a consensus,”” Rezaimalek said.

John Nangle, a mathematics graduate student, said he’s concerned that debate on whether abortion should be legal or illegal could cause violence at abortion clinics.

“”I don’t think we should forget the abortion clinic bombings and shootings of abortion doctors,”” Nangle said.

Westerland said it could be a long time before a decision is reached if the case goes to the Supreme Court.

“”I imagine that it’s fairly unlikely that the Supreme Court will want to rush dealing with it,”” Westerland said.