Top 5 hikes for the avid adventurer

Tyler Baker
    Tyler Baker / The Daily Wildcat Joe Fertilla, a photography junior, hikes around A-Mountain in Sentinel Peak National Park to take photos on Nov. 14.

With the drop in temperature lately, it’s easy to feel up for adventure this weekend. Luckily, Tucson is centered between a number of mountain ranges and plenty of other destinations within city limits. Here are a few of the best places to get out of the house and on your feet.

Seven Falls at Sabino Canyon
    Sabino Canyon’s hike up to Seven Falls winds through the rocky Santa Catalina Mountains and pebbled sand to the ultimate destination — smooth rocks and mini waterfalls in the heart of the canyon. A little less than eight miles and three hours later, you’ll be feeling on top of the world.

*“A” Mountain *
    A university staple situated just outside of Tucson, Sentinel Peak (better known as “A” Mountain) has been branded with a giant “A” and can be seen from nearly everywhere in Tucson. At the top of the peak, hikers can overlook Tucson with its crooked streets and tall buildings.

Tumamoc Hill
    Towering over the city, Tumamoc Hill is the perfect place for a weekend getaway — without actually getting away. The site is scattered with centuries-old petroglyphs from the Hohokam tribe, giving hikers a sense of the historical and cultural prominence of the summit.

Mt. Lemmon
    Break out the sweaters and boots and head out to Mt. Lemmon this weekend, located in the heart of the Santa Catalina Mountains. Covered in towering trees and overlooking nearly all of Tucson, Mt. Lemmon is the perfect place to escape from city life. The Mt. Lemmon Rock Loop hike is 8.6 miles long, so pack a lunch and check out for the day.

Gates Pass
    Situated just west of Tucson, Gate’s Pass is an easy 5-mile hike, that could be completed in about two hours. Scattered saguaros and Palo Verde trees line the trail, giving hikers a sense of the beautiful Arizona aesthetics we all know and love. You may even run into some wildlife to complete your outdoor adventure.