Police Beat

A man was arrested on two charges of shoplifting Monday after he was seen by security shoplifting in the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., reports stated.

Police were shown the surveillance tape, which showed the man hiding two $55 UA polo shirts down the front of his pants and leaving the store, reports stated.

The man was placed into custody and admitted to shoplifting the shirts and also informed police of his prior shoplifting conviction, reports stated.

A records check showed a warrant from Pima County for not paying child support, reports stated.

The man told police he had driven to campus in his work truck.

Police looked through the passenger side window and saw in plain view one of the same UA polo shirts the man had just stolen, reports stated.

When asked about the shirt, the man told police he bought it Friday.

Police searched the truck and found a $50 UA jersey and $40 basketball shorts along with the polo shirts, reports stated.

At the bookstore, security was able to find video surveillance of the man shoplifting the jersey, shorts and polo at 7:45 a.m. and then returning a short time later to take the two polo shirts, reports stated.

The man was transported to Pima Country Jail and booked, reports stated.

Police were called to the Arizona Health Sciences Library, 1350 N. Warren Ave., Monday in reference to personal property that was found inside a locker, reports stated.

Employees told police the lockers in the hallway were temporary and their use was restricted, reports stated.

There were several signs in the hallway indicating the lockers were not for public use, reports stated.

Employees told police they noticed the lock on the locker July 12 or July 13 that had not been authorized by the staff.

A notice was placed on the locker to tell the owner of the lock to remove it by July 21 or it would be cut off.

The lock had not been removed by July 24 and was cut off, reports stated. Inside employees found a black CD case along with a hand written note containing the owner’s name, phone number and address.

Police contacted the owner who said he had seen the notice but had forgotten to take the lock off, reports stated. The owner said he was no longer a student.

The owner asked for his lock back because he had owned it for a long time, reports stated.

When the man was told the officer had not personally cut the lock, the owner asked who had done it, reports stated.

The man was told his property could be picked up at UAPD, reports stated.

A $300 electrical meter and $300 AMP probe were stolen from a Facilities Management truck sometime between Saturday and Sunday while it was parked at 1521 E. Drachman St., reports stated.

The employee told police he parked the truck at 3 p.m. Saturday and said he was sure the doors were locked.

Another employee saw the passenger door of the truck open at 7 a.m. Sunday and notified the employee, reports stated.

The employee returned to the truck, which was undamaged, Monday and found the meter and probe missing, reports stated.

Police have no suspects or witnesses, reports stated.

A student’s $600 CD/DVD player was stolen from his car Monday while it was parked at 1845 E. Enke Drive, reports stated.

The student told police he had parked his car at 7:55 a.m. and said the doors were locked, but the windows were rolled down 1-2 inches for ventilation.

At 3 p.m., the student was told by his friends that his car door was open and the CD/DVD player was gone, reports stated.

The student returned to his car and found the CD/DVD player had been forcefully removed from the dashboard, damaging it, reports stated.

Nothing else was missing from the car, and there were no signs of forced entry.

Police found a stolen vehicle Sunday while it was parked in the Taco Bell parking lot, 1818 E. Speedway Blvd., reports stated.

The vehicle was found at 3:39 p.m., reports stated. A records check showed it had been stolen Thursday.

Police attempted to contact the owner of the vehicle but were unsuccessful, reports stated. The owner’s phone number was associated with the Kino Community Hospital, and a representative was unable to either “”confirm nor deny”” any knowledge of the owner being a patient.

The initial vehicle report showed the owner had been admitted to the Kino Community Hospital’s Psych Ward.

The report also said it was unclear if the vehicle was ever actually stolen.

The vehicle was towed to Tucson Wrecker, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department Records. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resumǸ can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.