Skinner’s Winners: Week six picks

Nick Trujillo

Have I told you guys how much I love Patrick Mahomes II yet? The second year gunslinger with an elastic arm saved my behind last week during his Monday night victory over Denver. 

Coming from ten points behind in the fourth quarter in Mile High Stadium to beat the Broncos by four, helping me push and ultimately preventing me from having another 0-5 week which would have forced me to name this column “Skinner’s Losers” once again. 

I went 0-4-1, which is just God-awful, but I didn’t lose all of them, and for that I am eternally indebted to Mahomes and his gravelly voice that sounds like a cement mixer on its last leg. 

RELATED: Skinner’s Winners: Week 5 picks

So this week’s intro is completely dedicated to him, because I really don’t think I would have been able to face the music and go through another 0-5 week. I would have just holed myself up in my bedroom and would have never come out, ignoring society all together. Mahomes prevented that from happening, and I can’t thank him enough. 

Luckily, it’s a brand new week, filled with endless opportunities for exhilaration and horror. I can’t wait. Here are my picks for this weekend:

Texas @ Oklahoma (-7) – O/U 61 – 9 a.m. MST – FOX

As a kid growing up on the West Coast – which is better than any other coast this country has – waking up on a crisp fall morning and stumbling into your TV room to flick on the Red River Shootout to start off your Saturday is one of the staple moments of autumn. 

The Cotton Bowl is split right down the middle, and the Texas State Fair is going on in unison, so this game has all of the pageantry that makes college football the spectacle it is. You have to throw out records and previous weeks when it comes to this rivalry, and that’s why I am taking the over (61). I think there will be sloppy play due to nerves and the early start, and I think we will see a wide open game that will put the scoreboard monitor to work.

LSU (-2) @ Florida – O/U 43.5 – 12:30 p.m. MST – CBS

The afternoon CBS game does not disappoint one bit this weekend, as two of the most successful SEC programs of the past two decades face off in The Swamp, in what should be the most physical game of the entire day. 

These two schools have had classic games in the past, with Tim Tebow’s jump pass coming to mind, and this week should be more of the same as these two schools look to stay alive in their respective division races. 

LSU goes into this game with two prime-time wins under its belt, with a neutral site win over Miami and a road win over top-ten Auburn. They won’t be intimidated, and I think they will win by a field goal. Tigers -2 is my pick.

Notre Dame (-6.5) @ Virginia Tech – O/U 55.5 – 5 p.m. MST – ABC

I have been skeptical of this Notre Dame team this season, picking against them twice and losing twice, and so I’m trying to ride this wave that the Irish seem to be on, which will continue to roll through Blacksburg. 

Enter Sandman and Frank Beamer’s statue unveiling won’t be able to save the Hokies from the Catholic beating they are going to receive on national television. You think I’m being unfair Tech fans? Then don’t get bodied by Old Dominion at HOME, it’s that simple. Golden Domers by a lot. Take the (-6.5).

Cal (-2) @ Arizona – O/U 57 – 7 p.m. MST – Fox Sports 1

This is the biggest game of the weekend in the Skinner household. Pops went to Cal, but all of my siblings, including myself, are Wildcats. This is for bragging rights until Arizona embarrasses the Bears in basketball in a few months. 

But I’m afraid its not looking too promising for my siblings and I, as Cal comes into Tucson off a hard-fought loss at home to Oregon, the lone loss of the season for Cal. 

Arizona limps into this game with star quarterback Khalil Tate nursing a injury that looks worse than he’s letting on and a defense that is prone to giving up six points on any given play. The smart bet is on the Bears, and I can’t afford to lose any more bets on this year’s underwhelming Wildcat squad. My pride may be hurt, but my wallet won’t be.

Jacksonville @ Kansas City (-3) – O/U 49 – 10 a.m. MST – CBS

With all my Mahomes love aside, this morning game might just be the best football game of the weekend, college or pro. One of the best defenses in the NFL will be going up against a seemingly unstoppable offense, laying the groundwork for an all-out brawl in Kansas City. 

This game comes down to Blake Bortles and if he can make timely plays to keep drives alive and to take advantage of any turnovers. If he can’t do that, it might be a long afternoon for the visitors. Take the hot hand. I know I am. Chiefs (-3) all day long.

Follow David Skinner on Twitter