Juniors named to All-Pac-10 Team

Juniors named to All-Pac-10 Team

Hoops Notes

Until the book officially closes on the Arizona men’s basketball team’s 2008-09 season, a statistical theme will remain constant: production from the Big Three.

Juniors Jordan Hill, Chase Budinger and Nic Wise were given All-Pacific 10 Conference honors, the league announced Monday.

Hill and Budinger were two of 10 players named to the first team. Wise was named to the second team.

“”I guess it’s a good thing. I just go out there to play basketball and have fun,”” said Hill, who paced Arizona with 18.5 points and 11 rebounds per game during the regular season. “”I’m a hard worker and I’m going to keep working hard to get what I want. And I want to be a better basketball player and help Arizona any way I can. I just got to go out there and work hard every time I’m out there on the court.””

UA interim head coach Russ Pennell said he was excited for the trio but was especially happy for Wise. Though the point guard is an important part of the Wildcats, he can sometimes be lost in the mix within the media, because of the amount of stellar point guards in the Pac-10, Pennell said.

“”I think sometimes Nic doesn’t get the credit due, and I think some of it is probably his nature. He’s kind of quiet and he’s not boisterous on the floor,”” Pennell said. “”You’re just going to appreciate his play, but he’s never going to talk about it. But I really do believe we would not be in the situation we’re in right now without outstanding point guard play.””

UA freshman Kyle Fogg was dubbed an honorable mention on the All-Freshman team.

Hill healthy after injury against UW

After rolling his ankle at Washington three games ago, Hill returned to the game and scored six points though battling a foot injury.

It was an injury that was said to take three weeks to rehabilitate. Instead, Hill said he spent five or six hours per day in the training room for four or five days, and he was able to return to action against the Bay Area schools feeling brand new.

The forward said he’s feeling much better headed into the Pac-10 Tournament on Thursday.

“”If it ain’t broken, I shouldn’t be sitting out,”” Hill said. “”There’s a difference between injury and being hurt, and I was just hurt.””

Pennell explained that this time of year, many players are hurt, whether it be with sore knees, hips, shoulders or anything else. He agreed that Hill was sore, and not injured.

Wise said Hill’s ability to overcome pain uplifts the team as a whole.

“”Jordan is one of our leaders, and we know he wants to help us in any way,”” Wise said. “”Even when he’s hurting that bad, it shows us how bad he wants it, and it makes us want it that much more.””

Tough top of the Pac

The Wildcats will face ASU on Thursday in the Staples Center, but the Sun Devils – despite already beating Arizona twice this season – aren’t the UA’s most feared foes.

Wise said the best Pac-10 team the Wildcats have faced this season is UCLA. The Wildcats lost to the Bruins by 23 on the road, then beat them by 12 in McKale Center.

“”I still feel they’re one of the toughest team to play against,”” Wise said. “”Cal’s pretty good as well. They’re one of the most efficient teams in the Pac-10 and in the country with their 3-point percentage. I think both of those two teams are one of the hardest teams to play.””

Hill said he felt Washington was the toughest conference opponent this season.

“”They’re a real good team, inside and outside,”” Hill said. “”They’re pretty good every game. I think they’re going to make it somewhere and do something.””

Judkins still suspended

Arizona freshman Garland Judkins was suspended for the third time this season before the Wildcats’ bout with ASU on Feb. 22.

Judkins hasn’t seen game action in five games.

When asked if Judkins will make the trip to Los Angeles for the Pac-10 Tournament, Pennell said simply, “”He’s suspended indefinitely.””