Police Beat: Feb. 24

Man gives officers some exercise

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the intersection of Cherry Avenue and Mabel Street on Friday at 9:10 p.m. in reference to man acting disorderly.

A police aide called UAPD after he noticed a man yelling at random people and taking an aggressive stance. The aide also reported that the man might have broken a street sign.

A UAPD officer attempted to make contact with the man as he started walking into oncoming traffic.

When the officer told the man to get out of the street, he noticed the man was stumbling and appeared to be intoxicated.

The man began to run north on Cherry Avenue when he saw the officer. When both UAPD officers began to run after him, he ignored commands to stop.

The man was chased to the intersection of Drachman Street and Ring Road. Then, another UAPD officer who patrolling the area saw what was happening and got out of his patrol car.

When the man noticed the additional officer, he stopped running and lay down on the ground on his back. He was immediately placed in handcuffs.

The man told the officer he was sorry for running and that he was drunk and stupid. He also told the officers that he thought they needed exercise and that he hoped they had some fun chasing him.

The officer reported the man as having watery, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and smelling of alcohol.

The man refused to say what he had been drinking or where he had gotten the alcohol.

He was then arrested for minor in possession in the body and resisting arrest. The officers transported and booked the man into Pima County Jail.

Talk about a beer run

A UAPD officer noticed a man enter a 7-Eleven at 1001 E. Speedway Blvd. on Friday at 5:33 p.m. and leave carrying a 30-pack of beer.

The officer reported that the man locked his bicycle to a bike rack at 977 E. Speedway Blvd. and then entered the 7-Eleven wearing khaki shorts and a black hooded sweatshirt.

When the man exited the store, he took off running, carrying a 30-pack case of Budweiser beer.

The officer notified two Tucson Police Department officers as the man was running through the Park Avenue parking garage.

The officer then saw the man carrying the beer while walking west on Helen Street on the north side of the parking garage.

When the man was told to stop and put the beer on the ground, he responded, “”What? What?”” and set the beer down and took off running.

As he was running north, the officer lost sight of him and told the other officers over the radio he was running toward the apartment complex at 1010 E. Mabel St.

While checking the area of the apartments, the officers saw that the man had taken off his shirt and left it on the ground.

The officer then returned to the area of the parking garage to wait for the man to get his bicycle.

At 6:06 p.m., the officer saw the man return to get his bike and notified TPD that he was there.

The staff at the 7-Eleven stated they would like to press charges.

Rising costs leads to stolen textbook

A UAPD officer was called to the UofA Bookstore at 1209 E. University Blvd. on Friday at 10:16 a.m. in reference to a shoplifter.

The UofA Bookstore security officer told the officer that he saw the man walk into the bookstore, pick up a textbook and walk out without paying for it.

The man was then confronted at the Student Union Memorial Center roundabout and was asked if he had a receipt for the book. He told security he did not.

The man was then escorted back to the bookstore and put into custody until UAPD arrived.

The UAPD officer reported that the man was very polite and remorseful about shoplifting.

The man told the officer he stole the textbook, “”African Spirituality: Forms, Meanings and Expressions,”” worth $45, because he could not afford it after spending all of his financial aid money on courses and rent.

The man was cited and released for shoplifting. A receipt for the book, video surveillance of the incident and photos of the textbook were placed into property as evidence.

A Code of Conduct referral was sent to the Dean of Students regarding the student. Victim’s rights were also mailed to UA Risk Management.

Birthday ends badly

A UAPD officer was on patrol near the Yavapai Residence Hall on Friday at 2:39 a.m., when he noticed someone who appeared to be sleeping slumped over on a bench.

When the officer approached the bench to conduct a welfare check, he noticed that the woman was awake.

As the officer asked her if she was OK, she picked up her cell phone and started to talk and sway back and forth.

The officer noticed that her eyes were red and watery and that her speech was slurred. When the woman reached into her wallet to give the officer her identification, she pulled out an identification card and then quickly put it back into the wallet stating, “”Oh, that’s the wrong one.””

The officer asked for the ID card she put back and saw that it was for a woman who was six year older than her.

The woman told the officer that the name and age on the ID were not hers, and she gave him her actual ID.

The woman told the officer she was a resident at Yavapai Hall. As he was talking with her, he could smell alcohol coming from her breath. He also noticed a clear plastic bottle with a red cap that was open in her backpack.

The officer asked the woman what was inside the bottle, and she pulled it out and said, “”Here, you can have it.””

The officer reported that the bottle was a 1.75 liter of Fleischmann’s Vodka, which was about three-quarters of the way full.

The woman stated that it was her birthday and that she had taken a few drinks of vodka. She said she only used the fake ID twice to get into 21+ nightclubs.

She was arrested for minor in possession of alcohol and possession of a fake ID. The incident was reported to the Dean of Students, and the woman was escorted to her dorm room.