Fast Facts

• Richard Burton’s first purchase for his then-wife Elizabeth Taylor was a 33.19-carat diamond ring, which Liz still wears today.
  • Other than humans, black lemurs are the only primates that may have blue eyes.
  • “”Queuetopia”” was a word Winston Churchill invented to describe Communist countries where people had to line up to buy anything.
  • The inhabitants of Darwin, Australia, each drink a yearly average of 62 gallons of beer.
  • Eric Clapton, Jack Nicholson and Bobby Darin each grew up thinking his mother was really his sister.
  • The technology that led to the refrigerator was first developed by a Florida doctor in 1834 to lower the temperatures of patients afflicted with yellow fever.
  • The late Roxie Roker, who played Helen Willis on the 1970s sitcom “”The Jeffersons,”” is the mother of rocker Lenny Kravitz.
  • Despite hosting the Winter Olympics twice (in 1932 and 1980), the tiny town of Lake Placid, N.Y., is home to only about 2,300 residents.
  • The first food intentionally cooked by microwave power was popcorn.
  • “”Relax”” hitmaker Frankie Goes to Hollywood got its name from a headline of an old issue of Variety magazine.
  • The Pony Express went under after a little more than a year of operation. The invention of the telegraph made the speedy mail service obsolete.
  • According to a 2005 study done by the University of Cardiff, the most depressing day of the year is Jan. 24.
  • The sweaters that Fred Rogers wore on “”Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood”” were all knitted by his mother.
  • The English gold coin, the guinea, is named after the country in West Africa where the gold used to make it was first made.
  • The odds of getting four of a kind in a five-card poker deal are 4,164-to-1.
  • The most common name in the Bible is Zechariah, mentioned 33 times.