More success: Volleyball or soccer?

Veteran-newcomer balance key to volleyball

After seeing this weekend’s performance by the No. 18 Arizona volleyball team (3-0), it looks like they have a strong nucleus for success.

This past weekend they were the only team to escape the tournament with wins in every match and also only lost one game the entire tournament.

Although they came out playing sloppy a few games, they showed amazing resilience and fought back to win games when they were down as many as eight points. When this team was on, it was impressive.

Sure, they have some kinks to work out – especially considering the number of underclassmen head coach Dave Rubio uses – but what team starts the season playing immaculate ball?

And consider that Rubio’s underclassmen aren’t just any average recruits.

Arizona brought in the No. 4-ranked recruiting class, according to Prepvolleyball.com.

Included in this year’s recruiting class was freshman outside hitter Whitney Dosty, and this weekend she didn’t disappoint anyone. Rubio said she still has a lot to improve on, but even with some skills lacking, she won All-Tournament honors.

Along with the outstanding nucleus of underclassmen, the volleyball team also has a great balance of veterans that are leaders on the court.

Junior middle blocker Dominique Lamb was impressive. She seemed to be all over the court, from smashing kills to digging low balls and blocking the opposition, as she also took All-Tournament honors.

Unlike last year, this team has won by using a more diverse set of players. They play together and seem to have great chemistry, and that is the most important thing in sports.

As the season progresses and the team gets stronger and stronger, the volleyball team will call this year a successful one.

-Ari Wasserman

Despite setbacks, soccer team will succeed

They may be young and lacking the glitz and glamour of star Mallory Miller, but don’t count out the No. 17 Arizona women’s soccer squad.

Led by the 2004 National Coach of the Year Dan Tobias, the Wildcats are more than ready to advance deep into the playoffs this year. Consider Tobias’ track record so far: In the four years he has been here, he’s turned a program on the brink of collapse into a championship contender.

In his second season and first recruiting year as coach, Tobias made a team that had tied for last place in the Pacific-10 Conference before he got to Tucson into the conference co-champions in 2004.

Last year, Tobias led his team all the way to the third round of the NCAA Championships before losing to powerhouse Portland.

And with another strong offensive recruiting class, expect the team to go even further as promising freshman forwards Jasmine Namdar and Laura Huylebroeck take to the field. In the season opener against Mid-Continent Conference preseason leader Oakland, Namdar already recorded one assist six minutes before the half. In Aug. 19’s Red-Blue game, Huylebroeck showed her potential by recording a hat trick to help the Blue team win.

And of course don’t forget about the seasoned players, especially standout forwards London King and Gianna DeSaverio.

King had three goals and three assists last season, but her role will no doubt increase with the loss of Miller.

Meanwhile, the speedy DeSaverio, who had three goals and two assists on the season last year, already showed off her skills this weekend by scoring the Wildcats’ only two goals.

Defensively, the Wildcats may struggle a bit with the loss of goalkeeper McCall Smith to injury, but sophomore Chelsea McIntyre has had some success replacing Smith, recording four saves against Oakland and seven more against the Wolverines in Arizona’s 1-0 double overtime to Michigan.

If McIntyre continues to play to that level, and with Tobias’ track record, there’s no doubt the Wildcats will enjoy their third straight successful season.

-Cassie Blombaum