Events calendar

Photo courtesy of myspace.com.
    Photo courtesy of myspace.com.

Concerts:
    Local First AZ!, KXCI, and Hotel Congress get to the heart of the holiday by presenting an Indie-Pendence Day Extravaganza! In spirit of celebrating local business as a way to a healthy economy, six “”indie-pendent”” music artists, Al Foul, Tom Walbank, Pork Torta, The Tryst, Right on John, and DJ Carl Hanni will perform throughout the night as Congress provides a tasty BBQ and a $5 raffle with prizes from fine local establishments.
    Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St., (520) 622-8848. 5 p.m. – midnight. $5 entry, some proceeds will benefit Local First AZ!, www.localfirstaz.com.

Junior Reid, a Jamaican-born reggae superstar, will be performing a show just as explosive as any fireworks around town with Vine Street, Jahmar International, and 8 Minutes to Burn. Not only was Junior Reid the lead singer for the Grammy-winning group Black Uhuru, he has also been sampled by the Wu-Tang Clan, and his status as a reggae icon has earned him collaborations with such hip-hop artists as The Game, Alicia Keys, and Lil’ Wayne.
    Twelve Tribes Reggae Shop and Dance Hall, 345 N. 5th Ave., (520) 620-1810, 8 p.m. $20 advanced tickets, $25 at the door. All ages.

Art:
    Tucson artist Keegan Rider presents his solo art exhibit “”Constant”” along with a wide variety of entertainment from local artists such as West and DJ Critter to poetry slams by Nicole Goff and Ashley Weingart. Free art-zines and cheap shirts from the artist will also be available.
    Shot in the Dark Café, 121 E. Broadway Blvd., (520) 882-5544. 6 p.m. – midnight. Free.

Sports:
    What could be a more patriotic way to commemorate our nation’s independence than a night of hotdogs and baseball? Watch the Tucson Toros as they host the Long Beach Armadas. If witnessing the all-American sport isn’t enough to satisfy your night, “”American Idol”” contestant Elliott Yamin will be signing autographs and singing the national anthem.
    Hi Corbett Field at Reid Park, 3400 E. Camino Campestre, (520) 325-1010. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., game starts 7 p.m. $5 – $10. Arriving early is recommended.

So floating down a river with a tube and an ice chest isn’t really a sport, but who wouldn’t love to be on a Salt River Tubing team? Take a day trip to the Tonto National Forest and celebrate the time-honored American tradition of floating around blissfully down a river.
    Salt River Tubing and Recreation, 1320 N. Bush Hwy., Mesa, (480) 984-0875. 8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m., latest tube rental is 3 p.m., $15 per tube.

Fireworks:
    Near campus? The UA parking garages invite everyone to get a clear view of all of the fireworks going on throughout the area. The top level of all of the parking garages will be blocked off from traffic, allowing spectators to set up lawn chairs, snacks, and drinks so they can hang out with one of the best views around town.
    Sixth Street, Tyndall Avenue, Main Gate, Park Avenue, and Highland Avenue, call (520) 626-7275 for more information. 6 p.m. – 10 p.m., 9:30 p.m. fireworks showing. Free. No cooking, fires, or alcohol allowed.

Just a 30-minute drive away, Marana’s Star Spangled Spectacular! promises to be a plethora of fun American activities ranging from live music, face painting, food vendors, and a watermelon eating contest to patriotic military displays, an avenue of flags and not to mention fireworks. Bring blankets, chairs, picnics, and smiles, but leave the pets and alcohol at home.
    Ora Mae Harn Park, 13250 N. Lon Adams Rd., www.marana.com, 6 p.m. – 11 p.m., $5 parking. Call (520) 382-1999 for more information.

The Rest of the Week:

July 1
    Hotel Congress is hosting An Evening with Public Enemy No. 1, John Dillinger in celebration of the theatrical premiere of “”Public Enemies.”” Due to popular demand, there are two shows scheduled instead of one. Dillinger and his gang will serve as personal guides to their stay at the hotel and capture in Tucson. The Cup Café will serve a prix fixe dinner centered on 1930s specialties. Maynards Market & Kitchen will also offer a prix fixe dinner while historian Jim Blees will give lectures about Dillinger in the Drawing Room. Dinner reservations are recommended.
    Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St. 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Live music, vintage car display, and Dillinger talk are all free. Call (520) 622-8848 for more information. The Cup Café, dinner is $19.34 including tax. Maynards Market & Kitchen, 400 N. Toole Ave., dinner $19.34 including tax. Call (520) 545-0577 for reservations.

Tonight’s FREE SHOW at Club Congress features local indie bands I Am The Lion and Seashell Radio, the popular indie dance pop group Peachcake from Phoenix, and Austin’s Moth Fight, which has members from the currently on-hiatus experimental group Octopus Project. This show is definitely worth catching, even if it wasn’t free.
    Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St., (520) 622-8848. Doors open at 8 p.m. Free. 21+.

July 3
    The honest and melancholy Bill Callahan, formerly Smog, has a stripped indie-blues aesthetic with stark and haunting vocals not unlike Leonard Cohen. Though he has dropped his stage name and taken a more complex sound than his earlier lo-fi roots, he continues to draw in acclamation after 20 years of music, making him a cult classic for fans and critics alike.
    Plush, 340 E. 6th St., (520) 798-1298. Doors open at 9 p.m. $12. 21+.