Pro Day last chance for draft prospects to prove worth

Former UA left tackle Eben Britton blocks ASUs Dexter Davis during a 31-10 Wildcat win on Dec. 6 at Arizona Stadium. Britton will be one of several former UA players working out for NFL scouts during the Arizonas Pro Day on Saturday.
    Former UA left tackle Eben Britton blocks ASU’s Dexter Davis during a 31-10 Wildcat win on Dec. 6 at Arizona Stadium. Britton will be one of several former UA players working out for NFL scouts during the Arizona’s Pro Day on Saturday.

Former Arizona football players Eben Britton and Mike Thomas got the opportunity to show professional scouts what they were capable of on the biggest stage in their pre-NFL Draft workouts a few weeks ago at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

They were the lucky ones.

Tomorrow, the rest of the Wildcats who plan on trying to make the jump to professional football have one last shot to make an impression before April’s draft at Arizona’s Pro Day held on campus.

“”I have been preparing all my life for it and it is just going to be another exciting moment and I am just going to go out there and have some fun with it,”” said former linebacker Ronnie Palmer. “”The nerves haven’t hit yet, but I know it is going to be a big event. I know no event is bigger than the next in the scouting process, but I am going to go out there and be myself.””

Former quarterback Willie Tuitama and Palmer were players who conceivably could have been invited to the NFL Combine, but after being left off the invitation list, UA’s Pro Day is their final chance to prove themselves to professional scouts.

Palmer, who admitted it was frustrating to not have the opportunity to work out at the Combine with the country’s best players, recognizes that he can still catch the attention of professional scouts with a solid workout Saturday.

“”Unfortunately I was a couple of guys away from making it,”” Palmer said. “”It is what it is though, so I have to perform (Saturday) because everyone is going to be out here watching us and this is my chance to show what I got.””

Britton, who has been predicted in plenty of mock drafts to be selected in the first round, will participate in position drills, letting his solid performance in other workouts at the Combine speak for themselves.

“”All I have to do is go out there and show them what I can do, football-wise,”” Britton said. “”It is just one last thing to show them I can play and to show them I have athleticism.””

Meanwhile, other Wildcats like former defensive back Nate Ness are looking forward to the opportunity to land on the map with solid performances.

All of them have the same goal: to make it in the next level.

“”I feel pretty good. I am just going to stay calm and focused,”” Ness said. “”I am trying to show these guys that I can do some things. It is nerve-racking a little bit, but you can’t let that get to you because this is your opportunity to go out there and shine.””

Added Palmer: “”I expect to keep playing … However it happens, (I expect that) my last game wasn’t here at Arizona.””