Fast Facts

• The original meaning of the word “”clue”” was a ball of thread or yarn. Like its modern namesake, it often took some time to unravel.
  • Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s pet cocker spaniel was named Flush.
  • The only president to be head of a labor union was Ronald Reagan.
  • In 75 percent of American households, the women manage the money and pay the bills.
  • Violet Gibson Burns typed continuously at her typewriter for 264 hours – a world record.
  • The average person laughs 13 times a day.
  • When Karl Marx was asked if he had any last words before his death, he answered, “”Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough.””
  • If cooked at too high a temperature, scrambled eggs may turn green. This does not make them harmful, however.
  • The nonsense characters that stand in for swear words in cartoons and comics are known as “”grawlix.””
  • The string on boxes of Barnum’s Animal Crackers are meant to be used to hang them from Christmas trees.
  • The word eternity appears only once in the Bible – in the 57th chapter of the Book of Isaiah.
  • Edgar Allan Poe’s “”The Murders in the Rue Morgue”” is widely considered the world’s first detective story.
  • In parts of Greece and other European nations, giving the “”thumbs up”” sign is widely considered a rude gesture akin to “”flipping the bird.””
  • South Africa used to have two official languages. Now it has 11.
  • Britain’s shortest river is the Brun.
  • On Nov. 29, 2000, Pope John Paul II was made an honorary Harlem Globetrotter.
  • Linus and Lucy’s last name in “”Peanuts”” is Van Pelt. They have a younger brother named Rerun.
  • The city with the highest per capita viewing of TV evangelists is Washington, D.C.
  • Brigham Young, the Mormon leader, married his 27th, and last, wife in 1868.
  • During a 100-meter race, a top sprinter makes contact with the ground only about 40 times.