Staff Picks

No. 3 USC at Arizona

There’s no logical reasoning whatsoever behind this pick, it’s just a hunch. But for some reason I think Willie and the Cats are primed for an upset to put the Arizona program back on the map. This key is Tuitama. If he plays like he showed he could last year, Arizona will make a game of it. If not, think LSU. In the “”Future”” I trust.

Arizona 27, USC 24

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

On the bright side, the combined score after one quarter of play the last two seasons between the Wildcats and the Trojans: Arizona 10, USC 7. On the down side, there are four quarters in a football game. The score the rest of the time: USC 91, Arizona 20. So USC lost a few Heisman Trophy winners, but don’t feel too bad for them; all they did was replace Matt Leinart with the top quarterback in the 2003 class, Booty, John David. The only way USC loses is if Reggie Bush’s agent is involved in the outcome.

USC 45, Arizona 13

Roman Veytsman
    assistant sports editor

As much as everyone would like to see Arizona win this weekend, simply put, it just isn’t going to happen. After suffering an embarrassing loss against Louisiana State two weeks ago and playing a closer game than everyone was expecting against Stephen F. Austin, the Wildcats just don’t have the confidence to pull it off.

USC 34, Arizona 10

Ari Wasserman
    staff writer

No. 22 ASU at No. 21 California

If there’s one rule in staff picks, it’s never take the Sun Devils at a California school. They just never win. With Marshawn Lynch ready to rumble and Rudy Carpenter not looking quite so sharp as he did last year, expect the same fate once again for the Scummies.

California 34, ASU 24

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! Behind stud sophomore quarterback Rudy Carpenter, who ran senior quarterback Sam Keller out of town, the Sun Devils will air it out in Berkeley against a defense missing starting cornerback Tim Mixon, who’s out for the season with a right knee injury, and leave the Golden Bears in tears.
    Rudy, are you ready for this, champ?
    Rudy: I’ve been ready for this my whole life!

ASU 38, California 31

Roman Veytsman
    assistant sports editor

After ASU made it to the Rose Bowl in 1987 and 1997, Cal is looking to stomp on the Sun Devils’ dreams of bringing the “”10-Year Theory”” to life in 2007. Dirk Koetter has not led ASU to a conference victory in California in 10 attempts, and although ASU has a solid offense, Cal’s defense will put too much pressure on quarterback Rudy Carpenter.

California 28, ASU 20

Ari Wasserman
    staff writer

No. 12 Notre Dame at Michigan State

OK, I admit it. Notre Dame was clearly overrated, and I look awfully stupid for picking them No. 1 in the Wildcat’s preseason poll. But coming off a 47-21 spanking at home against then-No. 11 Michigan and with revenge from last year’s Spartan game and its aftermath on their minds, there’s no way Brady Quinn and Co. drop this one.

Notre Dame 40, Michigan State 27

Michael Schwartz
    sports editor

Yeah, they have Heisman hopeful Brady Quinn and pitcher/wide receiver Jeff Samathrowmetheball, or whatever his name is, but what they don’t have is seven wins in the last nine meetings. Those wins belong to the Spartans of Michigan State. After a thrilling overtime win for Michigan State last year, quarterback Drew Stanton and company will show off some of the same magic on their home field.

Michigan State 28, Notre Dame 27

Roman Veytsman
    assistant sports editor

After getting destroyed by Michigan 47-21 a week ago, Notre Dame’s national title hopes were brought to a sudden halt. The Irish are looking to avenge the loss they suffered last year when Michigan State visited South Bend and unforgettably planted their flag in Notre Dame’s field. Unfortunately for them, Michigan State will pose some of the same problems the Wolverines did last week, and the weaknesses of the Irish will be exposed once again.

Michigan State 33, Notre Dame 27

Ari Wasserman
    staff writer