Police Beat

A student was cited for underage drinking and failing to obey a police officer Jan. 20, reports stated.

A police officer saw two men traveling the wrong way on East First Street, in addition to riding their bicycles back and forth between lanes without headlamps around 11 p.m.

The officer asked the men to stop, and they began to ride away from the officer.

One man went northbound on North Vine Avenue and the other was stopped and handcuffed by the police officer at a parking lot near East Speedway Boulevard and North Cherry Avenue.

The officer asked for the student’s name, but the student said, “”I won’t give you my name without a lawyer present.””

The officer told the student he would be taken to Pima County Jail if he didn’t provide his name, and the student told the officer his name.

The student said he had had a couple drinks that night and said, “”The police should have better things to do.””

The 20-year-old student said he was a pre-law student and had a 3.9 GPA. He told the officer that anything he was arrested for would be dropped because he had a 3.9 GPA.

The student had slurred speech and difficulty balancing.

He was also cited for traveling the wrong way on a one-way street and riding a bicycle at night without a lamp.

A student’s bicycle was stolen at the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E. Sixth St., Jan. 20, reports stated.

The student left the bicycle at the bicycle racks on the west side of the building around 2 p.m. When the student returned to the racks around 3:30 p.m., the bicycle was missing.

The student gave the bicycle’s serial number to police.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police saw a student pulling a parking sign toward the ground Jan. 20, reports stated.

The student was pulling on the sign on the south side of the Harshbarger building, 1133 E. James E. Rogers Way.

When the police office pulled up to the student, the student got into a vehicle with two other people and left the area.

Police stopped the vehicle the student was in near East Speedway Boulevard and North Cherry Avenue. There was no evidence of intentional vandalism so the individuals were released.

The sign was taken to the University of Arizona Police Department for safekeeping.

A student was cited for possession of alcohol Jan. 20, reports stated.

A police officer saw the student drive through the intersection of East First Street and North Martin Avenue without stopping for a stop sign.

The student said he was on his way to a party.

Police saw a frozen bottle of alcohol in the back seat of the car, along with sports and energy drinks in the front passenger’s seat.

The 20-year-old student said the alcohol belonged to his roommate, who had borrowed his car.

The police spoke with the student’s roommate. The roommate told police he was in Los Angeles and had left that day. He said he had not borrowed his roommate’s car.

A vehicle hit a student’s car sometime between 7 p.m. Jan. 19 and 9:30 a.m. Jan. 20, reports stated.

The vehicle was parked at lot 8109, 421 N. Cherry Ave., when the student noticed one of the front corners had paint transfer and deep scrapes.

No note was left on the vehicle.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A man lost his wallet near a bus stop near 1630 E. University Blvd., Jan. 20, reports stated.

The man said he thought he lost the wallet while he was jogging between 12:03 p.m. and 1 p.m. He retraced his steps, but was unable to find the wallet.

The wallet contained bank cards, credit cards, cash and other items.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu