This Day in Wildcat History

• On Aug. 11, 1971, the Arizona Summer Wildcat reported that a group holding a religious sǸance, including one person who claimed he was Jesus Christ, was asked to leave the UA Mall by campus security because they had not obtained permission from the dean of students. Assistant dean of students William T. Foster said that anyone was welcome to visit the campus “”as long as they don’t interrupt the general educational process.””
  • On August 7, 1980, the Wildcat reported that enrollment limitations for foreign students had forced the UA to refuse admittance of any new Iranian students for the upcoming semester. Dean of admissions David L. Windsor said that the enrollment limit had nothing to do with the hostage crisis. “”We are in no way fighting back against Iran for holding the Americans hostage,””
    he said.
  • On August 9, 1988, the Wildcat reviewed a UA Opera Theatre performance of Mozart’s “”Don Giovanni”” and found it wanting. “”The story loses some translation in the translation to English,”” wrote reviewer Richard Browne. “”For example, when Donna Anna sees her father, who Don Giovanni has murdered, she screams ‘Oh my God, oh my God,’ which, instead of reflecting the religious cry for help which it was intended, sounds more like a typical valley girl.””
  • On August 9, 1977, the Wildcat reported that the University Physical Resources Division was under investigation by the Pima County Attorney’s office for alleged employee theft and misuse of materials. The allegations were made by a local pastor, Rev. Elbert S. Morford, who also started a group called Concerned Citizens for the Integrity of the University to serve as a UA watchdog group.
  • – compiled by Justyn Dillingham