Letter from UA President Robbins to new students

Dr. Robert C. Robbins, president of the University of Arizona. Courtesy UA News

Dear Wildcats,

I hope you are all doing well and staying safe. We are excited for the start of the fall semester, and whether you are taking courses online or in-person, we are here to support you. 

We continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 in Arizona, around the country and the world, and our health care professionals, public health experts, and the entire campus community have health and safety as our number one priority. As the situation will continues to evolve, all of us will need to call on our shared values of adaptation and compassion as we adjust to local conditions and support one another. Remember the key things we all need to do:

• Wear a face covering when you are in public. Remember that face coverings are required in all University of Arizona buildings, and outside on campus, except where continuous physical distancing of at least six feet is possible. 
    • Maintain physical distancing to help protect yourself and others from exposure.
    • Continue to wash your hands frequently, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. 
    • Stay home when you can, and isolate if you feel sick. 
    • Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects, such as door handles and cell phones.
    • Seek medical guidance if you feel sick. Call Campus Health at (520) 621-9202 before going in for healthcare services. 
    • Stay connected and practice self-care to sustain your mental health, and reach out if you need help. You can reach Counseling & Psych Services at (520) 621-3334.

As we announced in mid-July, courses are being offered in four learning modalities: In-Person, Flex In-Person, Live Online, and iCourses. If you are at high-risk for serious complications from a possible COVID-19 infection, you should stay home and take advantage of our Live Online and iCourses learning options, to the extent possible within your degree program.

Even though the circumstances of the global pandemic have presented serious challenges and altered the student experience in unpredictable ways, the University of Arizona is still an incredible place of learning deeply committed to your success. We want you to experiment and learn, treat each other with respect, and feel safe to grow and pursue new ideas. Many resources are available to help you succeed and stay healthy and happy while you are here. 

Thank you for all that you have done. We will get through this together. 

Stay Safe and Bear Down!

Robert C. Robbins, M.D.

President, University of Arizona

Follow the Daily Wildcat  on Twitter