Mailbag

UA dermatologists should not have been terminated

Craig Grau’s article (on the UA Dermatology Department) in the Sept. 19 Arizona Daily Wildcat was well-done, but he failed to emphasize certain key points. Most important being, it was the action of Norm Botsford, CEO of University Physicians Healthcare, and his advisers that led to the virtual destruction of the UA Dermatology Dept. UPH summarily fired two key full-time faculty members, one being the head of the dermatology residency program and the other the dermatopathologist, both having served for over 20 years. They were fired for noncompliance with federal guidelines for resident/attending physician compensation, which required that the attending physician must personally “”see, diagnose and treat the patient.””

The UPH corporate ethics and compliance manual lists six levels of punishment for noncompliance. These are additional training, verbal warning, written warning and suspension with or without pay, demotion and, lastly, termination. With these choices, why termination? Neither the University of Pennsylvania nor the University of Washington, who had received heavy fines for similar violations, fired or even reprimanded any of their faculty. One can only surmise that UPH took this course because they thought this would appease the federal authorities and reduce or eliminate a forthcoming fine. The result of this capricious, ill-thought-out decision is that an outstanding dermatology section has been destroyed, the excellent residents (trainees) committed to this program face an uncertain future, and the people of Tucson, of Arizona and those living on the Indian reservations have been deprived of their main referral center for difficult skin diseases.

Norm Botsford and UPH are the responsible party for the destruction of dermatology at the UA. The guilt is not UPH’s alone – where was the dean of the School of Medicine while this shameful event took place? Perhaps most disturbing was the silence of the faculty of the School of Medicine during this travesty; not a whimper was heard from them. Hopefully President Robert Shelton’s hopes will be realized, and in 6 months the department will be up and running again, but that does not alter the fact that six months ago, the UA had an excellent dermatology section just coming into full bloom until being destroyed by UPH.

Dr. Richard C. Miller
    assistant clinical professor of dermatology

Keep the fans updated

This is a response to the Tuesday’s article “”Captains call players-only meeting.”” This article caught my eye because of the big picture of Willie Tuitama looking down and frowning. I feel that picture represents how all of the students at UA feel right now about the football team. We are right there with them, and they needed something to fire them up. I was an athlete in high school, so I know that a team meeting might be what it takes to stir things up and get them going in the right direction.

I, along with many others, had high hopes for the team this year. Although the Cats are not atop the Pac-10, we need to see improvement. This article lets us in to what the football team is doing and to help the fans stay positive and that good things will eventually come to the Cats. Keep the fans updated with what’s going on inside the locker room. Go Wildcats!

Sean Loughlin
    pre-business freshman

Pride of Arizona anything but a ‘Top 40’ band

I believe that everyone is entitled to an opinion. I also believe that it is unfortunate that people are so opinionated that they are too blind to see the whole picture. The marching band is not simply some 10-minute entertainment for “”drunken fans.”” It is an ensemble of more than 250 people who are driven and determined to create something beautiful. About 20 hours a week are dedicated to this goal, and it is not just to perform at a football game. The Pride of Arizona plays for high schools around the state and at national competitions. They practice long hours, forming strong bonds through music and marching. It is unnecessary for someone to put down something that they do not even understand. Creating a marching show is not a copy of another band’s work. It is an interpretation inspired by another piece. That’s what professor Jay Rees does. He produces a show inspired by music. He also makes sure that the band he selects permits him to do so. For a fan to say that her favorite band shouldn’t be allowed to be played by a marching band because there is too much meaning left misunderstood is ridiculous. It is also unbelievable that this person would choose to come down on other artists such as Phil Collins and Beck, who are very innovative and have played a part in the evolution of music.

The Pride of Arizona has always strived not to play Top 40 shows. Each show is unique and carefully chosen so that it may represent more than a one-hit wonder. Maybe if this person did her research on the Pride before scrutinizing their current show of choice, she would realize that the Pride of Arizona is anything but a Top 40 band. The members of the Pride respect the music they play. I don’t believe it’s fair for anyone to assume that the Pride is blind in their own commitment. I strongly encourage the author to go to a marching band rehearsal and talk to the director. This person will realize that other people appreciate Radiohead as much as she does.

Music is to be shared, out in the open. It doesn’t just belong in a closed room with a candle burning. It belongs everywhere, and to everyone.

Anita Walden
    pre-nursing senior

Illegal immigration causes real and serious problems

After I graduated from the UA, I moved to Los Angeles. During my short time spent here I have witnessed the three closest emergency rooms to my apartment close. Each closure was attributed to the same reason: A high percentage of their services was given free to illegal immigrants who could not pay their hospital bills. I also became good friends with a colleague who shared many of my interests. We became so close that I was the first person he called when his son was killed in a random drive-by shooting. The person arrested was an illegal immigrant who did it to gain entrance into an exclusive gang of illegal immigrants. I could go on with more stories about how illegal immigration has directly affected my life or the lives of those I know, but I feel I have made my point. Illegal immigration is not about the law itself; it is about the negative effect it has on our community. Yes, I am aware there are some positives associated with it as well. Are those positives worth the sacrifice of my friend’s son? What about the unknown number of people who died in an ambulance because they needed to travel an extra 10 miles to get to an emergency room? I am against illegal immigration not because I am a bigot, but because I am for the life and safety of those I love, those I have loved and those I could love someday.

Clayton Boen
    UA alumnus