Alumni staff picks

Despite Arizona’s fast start, the popular sentiment seems to be that Washington is going to come into Tucson and ruin the Wildcats’ chances at a Homecoming win. Without Nick Foles, the Wildcats will be hard-pressed to put up staggering offensive numbers like they’ve done all season, but as long as Matt Scott doesn’t take a page out of Jake Locker’s playbook —specifically the 4-for-20 performance against Nebraska — I like the Wildcats at home. And lets be real, unless Scott starts taking advice from Brett Favre via text message the night before in his hotel room, he should be able to avoid a total quarterback meltdown on and off the field.

Arizona 27, Washington 20

The Sooners were a team that lost a lot after last season but somehow remained atop the preseason predictions. Now as one of the only teams left to sport an unblemished record, they face a tough Big XII foe in Missouri, another team who has yet to suffer a loss this season. You have to go with Oklahoma in this one based solely on depth. If the Sooners’ middle linebacker comes out of the game, they can bring in that woman — I think? — from the dance team who has a more distinct, manly jaw line than Jay Leno. That woman — again, I think? — Would make Brian Bosworth cry.

Oklahoma 41, Missouri 21

– Ari Wasserman, Staff writer, BuckeyeGrove.com

The Wildcats are down with Nick Foles – ranked second nationally in completion percentage (75.3) – but they certainly aren’t out. Matt Scott is the man now, and UA can count on him. That’s what backups are for. Like The Situation winging for Pauly D. Or Napoleon voting for Pedro. Or Robin distracting villains while Batman looked badass. Or Odie getting lasagna for Garfield. Wait, those are the worst backups ever. Screw it. Arizona wins away.

Arizona 28, Washington 24

The Missouri School of Journalism is considered to be one of the best programs in the nation. It’s also supposedly one of the world’s first school of journalism. Makes me wonder why the hell I went to the UA. And then I remember what a badass job the UA staff did, how much fun I had at the Daily Wildcat and how Bob Stoops coaches Oklahoma. And I’m a Stoops Troop. Boomer! Sooner!

Oklahoma 31, Missouri 24

– Lance Madden, Partnership Manager, College Media Network

Throughout my years at Arizona all I wanted to see was a brutally efficient passing machine, and now I come back only to be treated to a helping of Matt Scott with a side of Keola Antolin. But Washington’s defense is bad enough the Wildcats would be able to score even if they put Kris Heavner back behind center, which never was a pretty sight.  The Wildcats need Foles to heal quickly to have any chance at the special season we thought they were headed for, but the adrenaline rush of Homecoming will be enough to knock off the Huskies.

Arizona 27, Washington 24

Call it the curse of being No. 1. Two weeks ago the nation’s most talented team (Alabama) went on the road and was throttled by South Carolina. Last week Ari’s poor Ohio State Buckeyes ran into a buzz saw in Madison, Wisc. This week the No. 1 team in the first official BCS standings will fall victim to a very good Mizzou team that’s undefeated itself. The Sooners won’t be the last No. 1 to fall either as I like USC to take down Oregon next week. Isn’t it about time for a BCS playoff system?

Missouri 31, Oklahoma 20

– Michael Schwartz, Chief blogger, ValleyoftheSuns.com