Sher-e Punjab serves up flavorful Indian cuisine

Ashlee Salamon
    Ashlee Salamon / Arizona Daily Wildcat Raj Singh, a cook at Shere Punjab Indian Restaurant on the northeast corner of 1st Ave. and Grant makes bread called ‘naan’ for the dinner crowd on Tuesday Nov. 24th.

Spice up your holiday season with some Indian food. While it may seem out of the ordinary for this time of year, turkey and gravy can only take you so far. If you’ve got a hankering for good Indian food and little bit of extra cash after your Black Friday shopping, check out Sher-e Punjab Homestyle Cooking of India.

You’ll want to grab friends for this meal, as the servings are family-style. This tiny and somewhat hidden little gem offers dishes that serve two to four people depending on their appetites. Their menu offers vegetarian dishes, non-vegetarian dishes, sides and a wide selection of na’an breads. Their lunch buffet is all-you-can-eat from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays.

All entrees are served with your choice of spice — mild, medium, hot or beyond. The curry chicken is a safe dish for those new to Indian food. Tikka masala — chicken in a creamy tomato sauce — is another excellent choice. Savory with a hint of sweetness, the dish offers a delicious and manageable amount of spice. For someone like me who can’t take the heat, mild is the way to go. Dishes are served with white or flavored rice. 

The restaurant offers a wide variety of lamb and beef. There is also an entire selection of seafood, called “”lerh-e-sagar.”” Throw some garlic na’an in the mix and you’ve got yourself a fantastic meal. Each dish ranges from $7.50 to $9.75; chicken and vegetarian entrees are the least expensive. The bill adds up fast, so don’t expect to eat on the cheap here.

If you’re looking for an exotic meal, Sher-e Punjab should be your No. 1 pick. Its blend of spices, textures and colors offer a sensory overload, and it offers one of the most authentic Indian experiences one can find in Tucson. Next door is a small store selling Indian goods. It’s worth stopping by if you’ve got some free time to complete your experience.

Sher-e Punjab is located at 853 E. Grant Road. It’s open every day from 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 5-10 p.m.