Just the fashion facts

It wasn’t exactly the vision of New York Fashion Week, or at least what they showed on “”Project Runway”” last night, but the Tucson Design College put on quite the fashion show Tuesday evening.

Models strutted down the runway in sync to techno music that blared to a packed house at the Hilton El Conquistador, showing off the collections of this year’s graduating fashion design students.

Burberry made their infamous check a registered trademark back in the 1920s and the plaid motif continues to show up all over the place on clothing and accessories alike.

This blazer elicits a similar pattern but the overall look is much more laid-back than what the original English fashion house would do.

Designer Wesley Thomas showed a collective of looks for both men and women that were inspired by his trip to Shipwreck Beach in Hawaii. The influence was apparent in the dresses that he showed, which he said were meant to be thrown over a bathing suit.

A talented designer indeed, however, Thomas hopes to pursue clothing design in a different direction other than everyday wear. The 19-year-old surfer wants to go into designing clothing made for extreme sports and stunts.

One would think the trend would have died out by now but from the looks of it, metallic isn’t going anywhere.

This gold coin dress would be perfect to strut down the strip in Las Vegas but if you aren’t planning on getting there anytime soon, thrown over dark denim jeans, skinny preferably, creates a look that would be suitable for a night on the town right here in Tucson.

The dress’ designer, Dale Slocum, had an especially good time at the show. The 35-year-old Connecticut native received the honor of the night, the Cele Peterson graduate award.

Despite the glitzy look of this dress, Slocum’s heart is devoted to another style, skiwear. In fact, her collection, which aside from this dress had a fairly cohesive theme, followed the narrative of an Aspen collection that’s perfect from 9 to 5.

A collaboration of black and white almost always makes for a crisp modern look and the outfit shown here is no exception.

This two-piece evening wear ensemble by designer Crystal Harrison was one of the best looks that went down the runway due to its high quality craftsmanship and the dramatic effect it made.

The cropped jacket adds a nice touch to the strapless dress and makes for a good option for those that like to cover up. A word of advice: If you are at all top-heavy, a full-length jacket would be a better option.

Tulle always adds a touch of fun and flare as it does under the skirt of this dress.

Lizette Granillo, 26-year-old UA alumna, presented an outrageous collection of glitter, animal and Asian print, which exuded rock ‘n’ roll mixed with theatrical costume. The looks, which Granillo says were inspired by Marie Antoinette and David Bowie, were also very much in line with the aesthetic of Granillo’s favorite designer, Alexander McQueen.

This particular piece creates a flattering frame from its voluminous sleeves, bubble shaped skirt and cinched waist. Volume is a huge trend this season and can look really cool if done right-a billowy skirt with a fitted top for example.

White matte tights create a stark contrast to the dress. Although a good use of accessorizing on Granillo’s part to place an emphasis on the frock, black footless leggings would be a more suitable choice for everyday wear.