Delt Games nets $4K for charity

Liz Smith, a health sciences junior and new member educator for Gamma Phi Beta, holds up her sororitys first-place plaque at the Delt Games awards barbecue at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house on Saturday. Gamma Phi Beta also took the award for best participation in the competition, which raised $4,000 for local charities.
    Liz Smith, a health sciences junior and new member educator for Gamma Phi Beta, holds up her sorority’s first-place plaque at the Delt Games awards barbecue at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house on Saturday. Gamma Phi Beta also took the award for best participation in the competition, which raised $4,000 for local charities.

The annual Delt Games hosted by a campus fraternity drew 293 women and raised $4,000 for a local women’s shelter and a food bank.

The Delta Tau Delta fraternity hosts Delt Games every year as an annual philanthropy project to raise money for Brewster Center Domestic Violence Services and collect food for the Tucson Community Food Bank, 3003 S. Country Club Road.

Sororities competed against each other for points in a week’s worth of activities including skits, spirit and banner decorating, and held a competition for who could collect the most pounds of canned food.

This year, the competition was under stricter rules and regulations because of the Philanthropy Advisory Board, recently enacted by the Interfraternity and Panhellenic councils, which sets guidelines for philanthropic events.

Danny Adler, philanthropy chair of DTD, said the fraternity handed out “”rubrics”” to the sorority women indicating the areas where judges would award points and outlining the rules of the Philanthropy Advisory Board.

Adler said the changes were set to prevent “”inappropriate”” references in the skit segment like those made in the games last year.

“”This year it was more structured. We had problems last year. (So) this year we had everything set up in advance before the events started,”” he said.

Participants competed in a scavenger hunt called “”The Great Delt Race,”” for which they found riddles around campus and completed tasks. Then they dressed up in the theme that coincided with Theme Night.

The women also competed in a volleyball tournament, tug of war and a Skit Night. Participants had to pay a $20 fee to be a part of the weeklong event.

Adler said Delt Games raised more money than expected and surpassed the proceeds brought in last year.

“”We’ve raised approximately $4,000, and we were aiming for $3,500,”” he said.

Adler said the increase was because of higher participation from the sororities. Adler said the total number of cans collected throughout the week was not available, but Alpha Phi collected twice as many as the other sororities combined.

“”Alpha Phi had over 580 pounds of canned food,”” he said.

The events culminated with a barbecue Saturday where different winners were announced in the categories of first, second and third place determined by the number of points received. There were also awards for best participation, best skit and best theme.

Gamma Phi Beta had the most points and won the best participation award, Adler said.

“”They proved themselves the best competitors in all the events,”” he said.

Adler said coordinating an event of such magnitude was “”stressful.””

But he added that it was worth the sacrifice.

“”In the end it was very rewarding,”” he said. “”It was great to know that everyone had a good time.””