“Sorry ending for graduating Labrosse, Wildcats”

Redshrt junior Jason Labrosse hits a backhand volley in a match against ASU Saturday at Robson Tennis Center. Arizona lost its 11th straight match, 4-3 to ASU, and Labrosse, whos graduating, played in his last match at home.
    Redshrt junior Jason Labrosse hits a backhand volley in a match against ASU Saturday at Robson Tennis Center. Arizona lost its 11th straight match, 4-3 to ASU, and Labrosse, who’s graduating, played in his last match at home.

Jason Labrosse’s last match at Robson Tennis Center did not quite go as planned.

In addition to losing his own singles match in three sets, Arizona lost 4-3 to ASU in heartbreaking fashion. It was the 11th straight loss for the Wildcats (5-17, 0-7 Pacific 10 Conference).

Although Labrosse is a redshirt junior this season, he will not return for his final year of eligibility because he is graduating.

With the match score tied at three, the UA’s No. 1 singles player, Claudio Christen, went into a third-set tiebreaker with ASU’s Matt Brooklyn.

Christen fell behind early and could not recover, losing 7-3 to give the Sun Devils (13-9, 4-3) the victory.

“”That’s just one of those things you have to dwell on for the day,”” UA assistant coach Tom Lloyd said of Christen’s tough loss. “”The guy Claudio played just played better. I was impressed.””

Three Wildcats picked up wins in singles play. Labrosse wasn’t one of them, as he fell to Jack Marsh 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.

“”I didn’t play my best match,”” he said. “”I came out with heavy legs.””

This was evident as Labrosse dropped the first set 6-2. Labrosse recovered, however, taking the second set 6-3, but then lost the third 6-3 to end his career at Robson Tennis Center with a loss.

“”It sucks. I wish I would have won my last match against ASU,”” he said. “”As a team we had our chances, but that’s just how it goes. It’s kind of a summary of how the season went.””

After his match ended, Labrosse spent the remainder of the day watching court six, where his redshirt freshman brother, Alex, was playing. Jason said it was important for him to support his brother, who was fighting to keep Arizona alive.

Alex went on to defeat Murilo Souza, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1.

“”I knew that (Alex) wanted to try to give me a win,”” Jason said. “”It would have meant a lot to him if we won, so I wanted to support him.””

The day began well, as Arizona managed to take the doubles point. After junior Francois VanderMerwe and sophomore Peter Zimmer lost at the No. 3 position, Christen and Labrosse held on to their lead to split the doubles score at one.

Then, the No. 2 doubles team of junior Bruno Alcala and freshman Ravid Hezi came back from being down 6-3. The pair closed out the match with a 7-1 tiebreaker victory to give Arizona its seventh doubles point on the season.

Lloyd said the way the team performed in doubles “”was great.””

“”The guys didn’t look on the other court and see who else was going to win the match for them,”” Lloyd said. “”It could have been very easy for Bruno and Ravid to look over and see (Zimmer and VanderMerwe) losing and (Labrosse and Christen) winning and just freeze. But they came back, they were down 6-3, and all of the sudden ASU got a little tight.””

Though Jason Labrosse walked off the court disappointed, he saw something in Christen that should bode well for the Wildcats next season.

Christen, a junior, “”acted like a No. 1 player today,”” Labrosse said. “”He came up short, but he acted like a No. 1 player and a leader.

“”This year he’s not winning (three-set matches). But it should be different for him next year.””