Staff Picks

No. 1 Texas at No. 7 Texas Tech

If I were asked to make a joke about this game two weeks ago, I would have said two words: Texas Tech. But after their annihilation of a legitimate Kansas team, this game may turn out to be a good one. And I’m not just talking about the stereotypical gunslinger names like QBs Graham Harrell of Tech and Colt McCoy of Texas. While both squads are undefeated, the Longhorns have my attention by beating three top-15 teams in a row.

No. 1 Texas 42, No. 7 Texas Tech. 28

-Kevin Zimmerman, sports writer

Having already knocked off Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, Texas will still be perfect Saturday as it continues to buck teams off the undefeated platform. Colt McCoy’s arm and the Texas offense should easily deal with Texas Tech’s defense. The Longhorn defense will keep the Red Raiders’ high-powered offense relatively corralled. Look for Texas to steadily add to its lead throughout the game.

No. 1 Texas 45, No. 7 Texas Tech 21

-Nicole Dimtsios, sports writer

One of the greatest stories in college football this year is Joe Paterno’s quest for a national title at his age. Many people around the game think JoePa should hang ’em up after this season, and what better way than to go out with a ring? In order for this to happen PSU would have to leapfrog into the first or second seed, meaning Texas has to lose, that way the PSU Athletic Department will stop receiving their complimentary issues of AARP.

No. 7 Texas Tech 48, No. 1 Texas 41

Tim Kosch, sports writer

No. 24 Oregon at California

Kevin: If coaches Jeff Tedford and Mike Bellotti were still in college, they would probably major in – well, undecided. Both have been flip-flopping on their quarterback situations all year, but apparently have made their choices in Kevin Riley for Cal and Jeremiah Mosoli for Oregon. While Cal had trouble with UCLA, Oregon has all the momentum after they tormented our neighbors from up the I-10. Also, I like anyone who embarrasses ASU.

No. 24 Oregon 45, California 28

Nicole: A nice Halloween treat for Wildcat fans would be if both Oregon and California simultaneously decided to forfeit. But that’s probably not going to happen. I think the Golden Bears will shock the Ducks in comeback fashion, scoring a last-second touchdown in front of their home crowd. Cal’s opportunistic defense will keep Oregon off the field because the Ducks will be haunted by turnovers throughout the game.

California 28, No. 24 Oregon 21

Tim: Cal has been one of the most inconsistent teams in college football this season, being good enough to be ranked twice yet lose to Maryland and Arizona (you know it), both of whom were unranked at the time. Plus, how can anybody pick against those Oregon uniforms?

No. 24 Oregon 28, California 16