No. 25 volleyball endures rocky road trip

Brent Uberty/The Daily Utah Chronicle
Brent Uberty/The Daily Utah Chronicle

Arizona indoor volleyball had a tough weekend on the road as it was swept by Colorado on Friday and lost 3-1 at Utah on Sunday.

The Wildcats (15-7, 5-5 Pac-12) fought and took the first set 29-27 against Utah but then lost the next three. The UA fell to 1-6 in true road matches.

After taking the first set the momentum for Arizona went downhill.

“We weren’t able to serve and receive and our passing was poor,” said head coach Dave Rubio. “We didn’t fight enough to win the match.”

Arizona dropped the second set 28-26 and the third set 25-20.

Even though the match consisted of close sets, it was difficult for Arizona to keep up with Utah, Rubio said.

“After the second and the third set it was hard for us to recover mentally, this weekend in general has not been a good weekend for us,” Rubio said. “After coming back from last weekend it’s hard to move forward and move on after having a significant win like that.”

The Wildcats started their trip off slow as they were swept by Colorado, 25-18, 25-19, 25-23 on Friday. The Buffaloes finished with a .303 hitting percentage while the UA finished with a .127 hitting percentage.

Although Arizona started with a 12-8 lead in the opening set, Colorado didn’t take long to tie it 13-13. The Wildcats took the first time out of the set, but only scored two more points after that and Colorado took the set 25-18.

During the second set, Colorado took the 6-4 lead quickly. The UA called the first time out of the set but the Buffaloes were unstoppable as they kept the lead.

The Wildcats decided to use their last time out when the set stood at 16-11. Arizona recorded three points after coming back from the time out and forced Colorado to call a timeout.

Colorado took advantage of the timeout when it took the 22-16 lead. Arizona was only able to record three points after that and Colorado won the set 25-19.

Arizona kept the score of the third set close until it was tied 17-17 through the middle of the set. Colorado got aggressive and took the 20-18 lead but it didn’t take long for Arizona to tie up the set but Colorado won the set 25-23.

Up next for the Wildcats is a trip to Oregon and Oregon State.

—Follow Rose Aly Valenzuela @RoseAlyVal