Gasp at these ghoulish facts we learned on SAA’s Homecoming ghost tour

In honor of this year’s Homecoming theme being a “Haunted Homecoming,” the Student Alumni Ambassadors led a ghost tour around the center of campus on Wednesday night. Which UA spots have an eerie history? Here’s what the ghost tour guides had to say:

A crying spirit haunts Maricopa Residence Hall

In 1919, a young woman caught her husband cheating on her. She then hung herself from a gas pipe in Maricopa. Residents report hearing mysterious sobbing sounds in the building.

Bear Down Gymnasium is haunted by a former student body president

John “Button” Byrd Salmon was a student athlete and student body president who coined the phrase “Bear Down” while on his death bed in 1926. He died from a car accident at 22 years old. Student Alumni Ambassadors shared reports of the ghost of a young man in an old-timey football jersey haunting the gym.

A man died at Old Main under mysterious circumstances

Carlos Maldenado supervised construction at Old Main, the UA’s first building. One morning in 1888, workers showed up to the building and saw Maldenado’s horse already tied up outside. 

When he didn’t respond, the workers walked up to Maldenado and found him dead with a knife sticking out of his neck. To this day, people report mysterious and paranormal activity inside the building.

Centennial Hall houses many ghosts

Many spirits reportedly roam Centennial Hall. One of them is said to be the ghost of a woman killed during the Colonial Period in Tucson. Two Spanish men dueled over the woman and ended up trampling her to death with their horses.

There’s a ghost in the Nugent building

The Nugent building, constructed in 1937, used to hold the UA’s Office of Admissions. A former staff member was working at the office late one night. She reported hearing mysterious and persistent crying noises. She couldn’t find anyone in the office and ran out of the building, terrified.

Follow Nina Ulloa on Twitter