The Whitest Kids U’Know hit the big screen

Zach Cregger and Trevor Moore are two of The Whitest Kids U’Know; they’re also two of the most entertaining up-and-comers to get to know in comedy.

Moore said that he’d wanted to be a comedian for as long as he could remember. His family “”traveled around a lot, so we were always on the road,”” he said. He credits the new-kid-in-town syndrome with a lot of his early efforts in comedy. “”I think that kind of forces you to try to be funny.””

Cregger remembers more specifically what inspired him to get into improvisation and acting.ÿ””I was in junior high on a retreat with my youth group and there were these two guys who were MC-ing the retreat, and they made videos,”” he said. “”I just thought that was like the coolest thing in the world.””

Cregger and a friend of his went on to write some sketches of their own, and performed them for their youth group and the neighborhood improv group. “”That was kind ofÿmy first bug,”” he said.

That ‘bug’ has carried Cregger and his colleagues through their cable comedy show on IFC to the movie theatres. “”We always wanted to follow the Monty Python model, which is to do television and then do movies, and when the show is over still come back every couple years or something and do a movie,”” explained Moore.

Moore and Cregger’s big-screen debut, Miss March, opens Friday.

The guys originally had planned for their first film to be a Whitest Kids film, but they set that project aside when Fox entertainment presented them with the Miss March script. “”Someone had written this film for us, the characters were named Zach and Trevor originally,”” said Moore. They weren’t originally particularly thrilled by the concept, which Moore described as a “”road trip sex comedy.””

In the end, however, they decided to use the script as a writing exercise. “”We did a complete rewrite of the script, from page one, we left nothing the same.””

Upon second thought, Moore concedes with a smirk that some things were left unchanged; namely, the basic storyline. “”The only thing that’s the same between the original script and this one is that the guy goes into a coma, wakes up, and his girlfriend’s a playboy playmate and he goes to get her back,”” he said.

That description, however, gives a false impression of what this movie is actually all about. Sure, there’s plenty of gratuitous sex and swearing and scat gags. But on another level, the movie explores a very real and often untouched side of the teenage sex psyche. Cregger and Moore commented on the inner workings of their characters.

“”They both share the problem that they’re putting sex up on this pedestal. They have an unhealthy viewpoint on sex,”” said Moore of Tucker and Eugene, the two lead characters played by himself and Cregger. “”Eugene’s coming from a very conservative way, where he’s like terrified of it, and Tucker’s coming from the other way where he’s just like, obsessed with it,”” he explained.

“”There’s aspects of both of them that I think most people will be able to relate to,”” said Cregger. He grew up surrounded by the same conservative mindset that his character Eugene is familiar with. However, he can also identify with Tucker’s inability to commit.

“”I was going through a breakup and remember thinking, ‘It’s like if some guy was to come up and be like ‘hey, do you like the car that you’re driving?'”” he related. “”You’d be like ‘yeah, yeah, I like it a lot.”” And he’s like ‘do you want to drive that car FOREVER?’ It’s like, ‘well, I’ve never driven another car, I mean I really like this car but I can’t make that decision.'””

While that may be a common fear, even ultimate playboy Hugh Hefner, who plays himself in the film, makes a statement about relationships worth noting. The co-directors opted against their initial hesitations, and approached Hefner about appearing in the film. “”I think its better because of the weight that Hefner brings to the words that he’s saying. I mean, if Hefner’s telling you that it’s not the quantity, it’s the quality, that is funnier and more interesting,”” said Moore.

The Whitest Kids U’Know will be anxious to see the box office reaction to Miss March. “”It would be great if, you know, if this movie seems to work and people respond to it; that means we get to make more,”” said Cregger.

“”I’m proud of this movie,”” said Moore. “”I think it’s a shocking, gross movie that has a lot of big jokes in it, but at its heart it’s actually kind of a sweet movie and I think it’s actually about something that you don’t really see in movies a lot.””

And if that isn’t enough for you to head for the theater?

Cregger said with irony that “”there’s lots of violence, murder, scat, cumshots, animal cruelty, and homosexuality to be seen on the screen.””

Moore takes that promotional claim one step further.

“”It’s the single greatest use of film and audio recording. Ever.””