Football vs. Gleeks

Glee
Glee

FOX’s decision to put “”Glee”” in the post-Super Bowl slot came as a surprise. The biggest football game of the year and a high-school comedy about a show choir of losers don’t exactly draw similar audiences.

But maybe this is what FOX had in mind.

“”These are two different audiences,”” said Cody Franz, a freshman studying molecular and cellular biology. “”You have the sports fanatics, and then the artsy type who are probably going to watch (‘Glee’) after the Super Bowl.””

Briana Ortega, a veterinary sciences freshman, watches the Super Bowl ever year, but is also looking forward to “”Glee.””

“”I love the singing and dancing,”” Ortega said. “”I’m much more entertained by ‘Glee.’ I could watch ‘Glee’ every Tuesday, but not football.””

For some, the Super Bowl isn’t about football at all. That whole competition between — who was it again? — the Steelers and Packers took a backseat.

Franz, a Chicago Bears fan, doesn’t root for either team, but he still watched the game on Sunday.

“”I hate both teams,”” Franz said. “”I love the competition of the game, and I (wanted) to see both teams beat up on each other.””

Those who don’t care about the touchdowns hunker down to watch witty commercials and mediocre halftime shows. When the football comes back on, they take a snack break.

Ortega, a member of the Sky View Apartments Residence Hall council, planned a Super Bowl pre-game party for the residence hall.

“”Everyone was talking about the traditional foods like hot dogs and hamburgers,”” Ortega said. “”Every year, we would have vegetable and fruit trays, and my sister and I would make desserts. When I suggested that, the rest of hall council freaked out. It wasn’t Super Bowl-y enough.””

Even the “”Glee”” cast got into the spirit of these tasty traditions, posting a recipe video on the show’s website before the Super Bowl.

Heather Morris, who plays Brittany, prefers chocolate-covered peanut butter balls. Mr. Schuester, played by Matthew Morrison, recommended his Amazing Chili Cream-Cheese Dip.  

Junk food, football and friends create the ideal Super Bowl party, but Ortega has some other ideas for a party worthy of her inner Gleek.

“”I would get some other girls and we would have a dance party and maybe incorporate some karaoke,”” Ortega said. “”We would have food besides hamburgers and hot dogs. Less manly food.””

Perhaps FOX hoped that as Mr. Schuester and Coach Beiste tried to unify the belligerent glee club and football team at McKinley High, the same thing would happen around America. In any case, the multi-million dollar, post-game time slot that aimed to keep eyes glued to the screen, succeeded.