Dinner & drink

Gordon+Bates%2FArizona+Daily+Wildcat%0ASky+Bar%2C+a+bar+and+cafe+downtown%2C+is+serves+coffee+during+the+afternoon+in+addition+to+a+full+bar+selection+at+night.+
    Gordon Bates/Arizona Daily Wildcat Sky Bar, a bar and cafe downtown, is serves coffee during the afternoon in addition to a full bar selection at night.

The food:
    “Chicken and waffles?” I hear you ask. “Chicken and WAFFLES?!” At May’s Counter on Speedway Boulevard, you run into this immensely pleasing and blood-clotting combination of deep-fried chicken and waffles hot off the griddle, put together on the same plate under a deeply satisfying smothering of hot sauce, butter and maple syrup.
    Disgusted yet? Don’t be.
    The combination is one of Tucson’s best-kept secrets. However, steak tartar it isn’t, so if a wonderfully orgasmic heap of cholesterol doesn’t suit your taste, feel free to order any of the tamer menu items such as collard greens, steak and spinach salad, or blackened catfish with a side of grits.
    The waiters and waitresses are friendly, the bartenders know their way around a stiff drink or a good beer on tap, and the prices are affordable even for a college student. At May’s, nothing seems out of the ordinary, and the creative menu often combines seemingly unrelated foods to invent something magical. Chicken and waffles, baby. Chicken and waffles.

The drink(s):
    After your delicious meal, head to Sky Bar on Fourth Avenue for one of the most delicious and least expensive cocktails around Tucson. Depending on the hard alcohols used and the amount, for an average of $4 you can get just about any cocktail of your choosing during happy hour. The good times don’t stop there, as they also have $1 off their drafts during the same period.
    Not into drunken debaucheries? No problem.
    Sky Bar also serves coffee and espresso, so you caffeine hounds can still get your fix.
    Of course, Sky Bar wouldn’t be Sky Bar if the entertainment didn’t live up to its mint Fourth Avenue heritage: They also have nightly astronomy shows with deep space images shown on projectors (from in-house telescopes).
    If that doesn’t sound right up your alley, don’t worry. Sky Bar also has nightly features as well, from jazz nights, to open mic nights, to fire dancers, dance parties and all-day NFL coverage on Sundays. For the 21-and-up crowd, Fourth Avenue doesn’t get much more varied than this.