The students behind the booths

Tom Price
The Society of Women Engineers runs a booth during the 2016 Spring Fling.

Spring Fling — a time of ring toss, Ferris wheels and the smell of funnel cake in the air — is also a time of hard work and determination for students working the event. Every year, different clubs run the game booths to raise money.

Greek organizations, volunteers, cultural and professional clubs and sports teams all participate in running game booths at Spring Fling to raise money for clubs and philanthropies. 

The Arizona men’s club soccer team will be in charge of the Light Up Water booth in order to raise money to help with the program’s expenses. 

“As students of the university, it is our job to be active in the community because it gives us so much, like the opportunity to represent our school on the field,” said Kieran Quinn, president of the Arizona men’s club soccer. 

Sigma Alpha is another organization that will be working a booth at Spring Fling. The professional agriculture sorority will be fundraising for sisterhood and professional development events.

RELATED: Turning into stone: UA dancers inspire sculptor

“We have a commercial game booth called Bank Ball that is brand new, and we’re really excited to see how it works,” said Cierra Geyer, treasurer fundraising committee chair of Sigma Alpha. 

Other Greek organizations that will be working game booths are Alpha Phi Gamma, the first UA Asian Greek sorority, running Basketball, and Alpha Kappa Psi, a professional business fraternity, running One Ball. 

Pre-Pharmacy, a professional club for students pursuing a career in pharmacy, will be running the Tub Game to raise money for club expenses. 

Gennifer Unell, a student in the College of Science, will be volunteering for the Pre-Pharmacy booth. She wants to support the booth because “it is a great way for aspiring pharmacy students to meet and learn more about the profession.”

Other professional clubs running booths are the Mock Trial club, which will be running another game of Basketball, and the Pre-Veterinary club, running the Balloon 1 booth. 

Two cultural clubs will be running booths this year. The Vietnamese Student Association, a club dedicated to promoting Vietnamese culture at the University of Arizona, will be running High-Striker. Balloon 2 will be run by the Filipino American Student Association, which celebrates Philippine culture and aims to provide community service opportunities and new life experiences for club members. 

RELATED: Monsoon mural sparks talk about water importance

Flying Samaritans, a medical-based volunteer group that flies to Baja, Mexico every month to provide medical service for underprivileged communities will be running the Block Party booth at Spring Fling.

“Spring Fling is our biggest fundraising opportunity of the year,” Crutcher said. “We are doing a booth to raise money to put on our monthly clinics in Agua Prieta, Mexico.” 

The other volunteer-based club working a booth at Spring Fling is Project Sunshine. The club will be working the Ring-A-Duck booth at the carnival. 

Project Sunshine’s mission is to bring enjoyment to children in medical clinics through arts and crafts, games and reading. By crafting, reading and doing activities, the club tries to lift the spirits of children, families and homeless people through donations.

“Spring Fling is really making it possible for us to help out in these areas and grow as a club so we can provide even more outreach to those in need,” said club member Molly Jepson.

Whether raising awareness about club events or providing fun activities for carnival-goers, 32 clubs will be represented at this year’s Spring Fling. 

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter