“3 dead, 2 shot including officer on Far North Side “

A double homicide on the Far North Side Saturday evening prompted a pursuit that left one Chicago officer wounded and a suspect in the slayings dead from police gunfire.

Gang crimes officers on surveillance on the 5800 block of North Winthrop Avenue in the Edgewater neighborhood while looking into a narcotics-related homicide and saw a group of people run from the building, just before a call of “”shot fired”” came from the location at about 5:30 p.m., police said.

Upon entering the building police found three victims, two dead on the scene and the other in critical condition, in a fourth-floor apartment. As a marked police car attempted to stop the suspects who were fleeing in a vehicle that multiple witnesses later described as a pickup truck, the suspects rammed the squad car and fired at police, wounding one officer in the leg, according to a police statement.

During a short chase the suspects continued to fire at police before the vehicle was stopped and police returned fire, killing one suspect and taking two others into custody, police said.

The police officer who was shot is 39, has 12 years on the force, and is currently assigned to the Gang Investigations Unit, police said. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital of Evanston in good condition.

The officer was shot near the intersection of Broadway and Thorndale Avenue, officials said.

After that shooting, police pursued the vehicle from Broadway and Thorndale to Devon and Greenview Avenues, where the vehicle crashed to a stop after trying to turn south onGreenview, officials said. Police fatally shot one person who had been inside the vehicle, while two people were taken into custody.

At a brief news conference, police Superintendent Jody Weis would not provide details on the victims or attackers.

The injured police officer is the second Chicago police officer shot in the last seven days.

“”It’s a stark reminder of the dangers our men and women face every day,”” Weis said.

Police were trying to determine if the fatal stabbings from Saturday on Winthrop were connected to other drug-related homicides, a law enforcement source said.

Officials from the Cook County medical examiner’s office said that a total of three people were pronounced dead as a result of the incidents, all males.

The man shot by police was identified as Arturo Ibarra, 37, of the 4500 block of South Troy Street, according to a medical examiner’s spokesman.

The two victims from Winthrop Avenue were of unknown age and suffered apparent multiple stab wounds. They have not been identified. Autopsies were pending.

The third person from the Winthrop address was taken in critical condition to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

Witnesses near where a black pickup truck crashed said they saw at least one man being led off in handcuffs and saw a police officer place a white sheet over another person.

For hours during the investigation, traffic was rerouted around the active crime scenes.

About a dozen onlookers gazed from the Red Line stop at Thorndale and Broadway, near the scene of where the officer was shot.

On the ground level, several more stood outside Castle Liquors, a convenience store down the block from the crime scene.

Keenan Morgan was about to leave his home behind Moody’s Pub – a restaurant located across the street from where the shooting happened — when he heard what sounded like gunfire blasts.