Grads hit harsh market

Brittany Lyles, a graduating history senior, works on the fi nal touches for a history paper Friday in the lobby of Career

In today’s economy, it’s no secret that post-graduation life includes the concern of ending up using the back of your diploma to write down latte orders at a corner Starbucks.

Employers expect to hire 22 percent fewer college graduates from the class of 2009 than were hired in 2008. According to a study done by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, 66 percent of employers who partook in the survey reported reducing or eliminating spring hiring activity on college campuses.

“”More than two-thirds of employers said the economic situation forced them to reevaluate their college hiring plans, and nearly all of those said they have decreased their planned number of hires,”” said NACE executive director Marilyn Mackes, in a press release.

Since the decreased number of recruiters has also been evident at the UA, graduating seniors entering the job market need to set realistic career expectations because they may end up not getting their dream job right out of college, said UA Career Services assistant director Bill Ruggirello.

“”In a strong economy, a great job market, multiple offers, everything is great everything is wonderful. When it’s tighter, you have to really tighten up and really come across as a more viable candidate,”” Ruggirello said. “”(Graduates) really need to not take anything for granted.””

According to NACE’s 2009 Student Survey, 19.7 percent of 2009 graduates have secured a job at the time of graduation compared with 51 percent of 2007 graduates and 26 percent of 2008 graduates.

In order to make a great impression on an employer, it takes more than filling out applications, composing a good resume and brushing up on interview skills. Applicants need to do their homework and display interest in the company with which they’re applying, said Enterprise Rent-A-Car group recruiting manager Stacey Kretzmann.

“”A lot of students have had lots of applications out there but when they get to meet with (employers) and they get the interview, they can’t tell us really much about the company or why they’re interested, they’re kind of just looking,”” Kretzmann said.

Saba Bennett graduated from the UA in 1996 with a bachelor’s degree in anthropology, and now teaches advanced placement English at Palo Verde High School. After having some experience in the working world, she said that one of the best ways future graduates can prepare for life after college is to network and polish their skill sets.

“”The (student) who sits behind them in class who they may think is a total nerd may be a CEO-to-come,”” Bennett said. “”They’re going to have to create their own niche, and the best jobs will probably be Web-related and personal business.””

UA biosystems engineering senior Blake Randolph said he applied for and got turned down for a doctor’s assistant position at Northwest Hospital, but despite his career concerns after finishing college, he’s still optimistic.

“”I’m worried about finding a job, but not worried that I won’t find a job. I think I’ll be able to find something,”” he said.

After he graduates this May, Randolph said he plans to get a job for a year before going on to medical school to get his doctorate in radiology.

Despite how tight things are with the job market now, Ruggirello said he believes the economy will stabilize and it won’t be long until people can start to look at possible opportunities in a more positive light.

“”Long term, probably this time next year, we’re probably looking at a better job market,”” Ruggirello said. “”It’s not like a student gloom for the next three or four years. I think this year maybe even to 2010, it should be a little tight, but it’s going to start to open up.””