Woman reports assault in dorm

A student was sexually assaulted early Friday morning in her dorm room, provoking the University of Arizona Police Department to post safety alerts in residence halls across campus.

The campus safety alert, posted in the lobbies of residence halls, stated an unknown male awakened the female student in her room in Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall a little before 5 a.m.

The male was assaulting the student when the student yelled at the male and he then left the room, according to the safety alert.

The safety alert said no other information is currently being released. The case is still being investigated, and UAPD detectives are working with the victim to identify the suspect.

Attempts to reach the UAPD public information officer yesterday were unsuccessful.

Kathleen Everett, a resident of Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall, said she saw the message and said if the male isn’t a resident of the dorm, she’s surprised he was able to get in without a CatCard. “”It’s really scary, I was kind of shocked,”” she said.

Everett said she feels pretty safe in her dorm, even though it’s sometimes possible for nonresidents to find ways inside. She said a homeless man followed a student into her dorm earlier in the year, but the man was kicked out by resident assistants shortly after getting inside.

Marra Longo, a resident of Coronado Residence Hall, said several people have stopped to read the message and said she was shocked the incident happened in a dorm.

The safety alert reminded students to lock doors and windows, to stay with friends when going out and to let people know where they are. Tips also included reporting all suspicious activity to police, not allowing people without a key into residence halls and using only authorized entrances to the residence halls.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact police.