Track team ready for Pac-10 Championships

The No. 6 Arizona men’s and unranked women’s track and field teams will try to continue their success from last week’s Pacific 10 Conference Combined Events Championships when they face the best of the West at the Pac-10 Championships in Eugene, Ore., this weekend.

The meet comes after junior All-American decathlete Jacob Arnold won his first Pac-10 title Sunday with his personal-best performance of 7,691 points, a performance that won him this week’s Pac-10 Player of the Week.

On the women’s side, freshman heptathlete Shevell Quinley also did well, placing fourth with a score of 5,304.

This season has been one full of success for the Wildcats, especially on the men’s side, with numerous athletes picking up Pac-10 Player of the Week awards and the team capturing several meet titles.

Fred Harvey, Arizona’s track and field head coach, said he also expects great things from his team this weekend.

The men’s team, which placed seventh last year, should do much better this time around, he said.

“”They should be a top-three or -four team going into the meet,”” Harvey said.

Although he said he’s “”not going to predict a Pac-10 title,”” he said the team definitely has the opportunity to make it that far. But it’s not going to be easy.

“”The Pac-10 is one of the top two or three conferences in the nation,”” Harvey said.

But he said he fully expects senior All-American Robert Cheseret to come through for the Wildcats.

“”He’s a terrific athlete,”” Harvey said.

Cheseret, who won the 5,000-meter and the 10,000m last year, said he is confident he will do it again.

“”I think there’s a bit more pressure, but I’m going to win again,”” Cheseret said.

Harvey said he also hopes the women’s team, which placed seventh in last year’s event, will do better, especially with the aid of runners like junior hurdler Jennifer Whitlock.

Whitlock, who placed seventh in the 100m hurdles last year, should do well.

“”She’s definitely one of the top five hurdles in our conference,”” Harvey said.

Whitlock agreed.

“”Last year was my first time going to the Pac-10 Tournament, and it was intimidating for me because mentally and physically I wasn’t experienced,”” Whitlock said. “”(But) this year I know my potential, (and) I have lots of confidence in myself.””

The Wildcats will be next in action in the Tucson Elite Classic at Drachman Stadium May 20, which comes one week before the NCAA Regional Championships May 26-27 in Provo, Utah. The NCAA Championships will be held June 8-11 in Sacramento, Calif.