What are senior’s plans for after graduation?

Tia Stephens

A sea of caps top the heads of the graduates during the 2020 Commencement Ceremony on the Mall on Nov. 5. The ceremony was held during this year’s Homecoming, a year and a half after students received their diplomas in May 2020 as the original ceremony was cancelled on account of the pandemic.   

A typical question facing most high school seniors is, “What college are you going to?” For college seniors, it’s a little more complicated than that. The big question many soon to be graduates are asked is “What are your plans after college?” This can be a heavy question and challenging to answer. Some plan to on graduate school while others get jobs immediately after college, some take a gap year and others simply do not know their plans.

Sitting down with several University of Arizona seniors, from various colleges and fields of study, it was shared what some have in store for their future. 

In the fall, Jacob Yang, a senior marketing major, will be continuing his education at the UA with a master’s program in management information systems. Yang is not anticipating much excitement upon graduation since he’s still going to be a student at the UA. In the future, Yang would like to open a Chinese-brunch style restaurant in Tucson. 

Economics and mathematics major Joe Wilske, has plans to continue his education outside of UA. He will be getting his Ph.D. in economics from Boston College. Wilske is most looking forward to relaxing a bit over the summer before starting the next phase in his life. 

Gízem Ozturk, a chemistry major, got hired as a lab technician in a neuroscience lab at Cornell University. The program starts in July, and Ozturk will be studying dopamine projections on the prefrontal cortex. Ozturk was originally a neuroscience major, but she switched to chemistry because she wanted a more complete understanding of how all science works.

“I was interested in neuroscience, and I was previously a neuroscience major. I was hoping to combine my chemistry background with neuroscience,” Ozturk said. 

Alexia Kubas, an astronomy major, will also be at Cornell University in New York getting her Ph.D. in astronomy and space sciences. 

“After graduating, I would love to work at NASA on space exploration missions,” Kubas said. 

She’s excited for grad school, moving to a new place and continuing her education, though she has mixed feelings about graduation UA. 

RELATED: Graduation season: How Tucson hotels and eateries handle the increase of people 

Victoria León de la Vega, an accounting major, got a job working for Deloitte Consulting, a public accounting firm, as an assistant auditor. She’s excited for graduation and to receive her degree, as she moved to Tucson alone from Mexico to attend the UA. 

Sophia Bragg, a nursing major, plans to stay in Tucson after graduation. She will be working in the Intensive Care Unit at Banner-University Medical Center South. She’s excited to get paid for her hard work, but she’s also sad that her time at the UA is coming to an end. 

Joseph Rogers, a film and television major and production manager at UATV3, is looking to work somewhere outside of Tucson. He currently doesn’t have anything lined up job wise but wants to finish the semester strong. Rogers plans to apply for jobs once he graduates.

This summer, Michael J. Osipov, a biomedical engineering student, will be paid working in a lab on campus. However, he is still applying for biomedical jobs in the fall. Regarding graduation, Osipov is looking forward to a break from classes and to have the ability to move on and see what’s next in his life. 

After graduation, Alina Perlstein, an information science and eSociety major, is going back home to California where she’ll start looking for jobs. She’s excited to see her dogs and family again and start a new adventure in her life. Like others, she has mixed feelings about graduating. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter