Big cats on campus: Faces to know

Natalynn+Masters%2C+a+current+UA+sophomore+double+majoring+in+sociology+and+law+with+a+minor+in+Africana+studies%2C+was+voted+student+body+president+for+the+2018-2019+academic+school+year.+
Amy Bailey
Natalynn Masters, a current UA sophomore double majoring in sociology and law with a minor in Africana studies, was voted student body president for the 2018-2019 academic school year.

Editor’s note: This article was produced as part of the Daily Wildcat‘s 2018 Campus Guide — the perfect resource for any incoming Wildcat. Whether you’re trying to find important dates, looking for a club to join or are interested in UA history and traditions, we’ll be there to help you get through your first semester. Welcome to the University of Arizona!   

Natalynn Masters – President, Student Body

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona, or ASUA, plays a big role in planning events like Spring Fling and advocating for students to the Arizona Board of Regents. At the head of the organization this year is Natalynn Masters. Her focuses for this year are diversity, sexual assault and student engagement.

As Student Body President, Masters is here for you. Whether you join ASUA or one of the 300-plus clubs they accredit, feel free to reach out to Masters with concerns or ideas, or just say “hi” if you see her around campus. 

Kendal Washington White – Dean of Students, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs

Kendal Washington White is the Dean of Students. The Dean of Students office is committed to to supporting students when emergencies happen and to treat students with dignity.

Kendal Washington White, as dean of students, oversees pretty much any student issue you can think of. This includes issues such as student accountability, academic integrity and disruptive or threatening behavior, as well as resources like LGBTQ Affairs, cultural centers and the Women’s Resource Center. Any Title IX issue will be handled through this office, as will sexual assault or substance possession issues. 

The Dean of Student’s Office page says the “role of the Dean of Students Office includes challenging and supporting students when crises or emergencies arise, and when students make poor decisions related to personal behavior and integrity.”

Lauren L’Ecuyer – Student Regent, Arizona Board of Regents

Lauren L'Ecuyer, former NAU student body president, is now the new student regent for the Arizona Board of Regents
Lauren L’Ecuyer, former NAU student body president, is now the new student regent for the Arizona Board of Regents

This NAU student is responsible for advocating for students and providing the students’ voice to the Arizona Board of Regents. 

She started her two-year term as student regent on July 1, and will become a voting member of ABOR during her second year. She will serve through 2020.

Before graduating in May 2018, she was the student body president at NAU and had worked in student government for several years. 

Marie Teemant – President, Graduate and Professional Student Council 

Marie Teemant is the President of the Graduate & Professional Student Council.

The Graduate and Professional Student Council is similar to ASUA but formed of graduate- and professional-level students who advocate for academic, economic and social aims of their peers to both the Arizona Board of Regents and the University of Arizona administration. 

Marie Teemant is the 2018-2019 GPSC President, so if you are a graduate or professional student and have a question, concern, idea or desire to get involved, contact Teemant!

Dr. Robert Robbins – President, the University of Arizona

Dr. Robert C. Robbins, president of the University of Arizona. Courtesy UA News

Elected president of the University of Arizona in 2017, Dr. Robert Robbins is the 22nd UA president. 

Before becoming UA president, Robbins was an internationally recognized cardiac surgeon and president and CEO of the Texas Medical Center in Houston. 

He was also a professor and chairman of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Stanford University School of Medicine.

It’s not uncommon to see Robbins at school events, or zipping around on his UA-decaled golf cart. 

Keep an eye out, and, if you see him, wave! He’s always happy to talk with students.

Brian Seastone – Chief, University of Arizona Police Department

Brian Seastone is Chief of Police at the University of Arizona Police Department. Seastone has been a part of UAPD since he joined the force in October of 1980 and was promoted to Chief of Police March 2014.

UAPD works to maintain safety on campus, and Chief Brian Seastone is the face of the department. 

You’ll see UAPD patrolling the streets, at sporting events, at tailgates and nearly all university functions. Don’t be afraid to contact the police if you need help or feel unsafe. 

According to their website, UAPD has 65 state-certified police officers and 49 civilian employees. In an emergency, call 911 from a phone or from an emergency blue light phone. For non-emergency calls, dial 520-621-8273. 

Follow Marissa Heffernan on Twitter