Q&A; with Jordan Hill

Jordan Hill
    Jordan Hill

Editor’s note: UA junior Jordan Hill sat down with the media on Thursday to discuss his declaration to the NBA Draft. The projected lottery pick discussed how far he’s come, finishing school and his desire for kids to model their game after his.

Q: Have you thought about your decision and why now is the right time?
    A: It can’t get no better than what your projection is. I felt this is a good time to go on with the opportunity that I have. I had fun here at Arizona. I love the fans, I love the coaches, the program -ÿeverything around Arizona and Tucson. I just want to thank everybody and move on.

Q: You probably already had in the back of your mind what you were going to do.
    A: Not really. I tried not to let it get to me. I just tried to focus on the season first. Whatever I feel is the best thing for me, I’ll just go with my heart. At the end of the season I sat down and talked to the family, let them know what’s going on and finally, I made my decision.

Q: Would you have ever imagined yourself being in this situation three years ago, and maybe being a top-5 pick?
    A: Definitely not. I went through crazy stuff growing up and never thought I’d be in this position. I’m just thankful for this opportunity. God, you know, He’s real.

Q: Is there any circumstance that would have kept you here?
    A: I did sit down with the new coach, Sean Miller, and he seems like a good guy, but my decision was already decided after the season. There’s nothing wrong with this program; I love this program. I don’t have no regrets of coming here. … I think it’s just my time to try the next step. I had three wonderful years here, and I just feel like I’m grown up. I’m a bigger and better man than I was three years ago.

Q: When you look back on the ride, what did you think about?
    A: It’s been a fun roller coaster to be on. The staff, my teammates, everything around Arizona – it’s a lovely place to be. I’m definitely going to miss it, but I will return. I’m just gone for a while. That’s what I call it – just a little vacation. I love this place, but you’ve got to move on sometime.

Q: What’s going to be home base for you? Are you going to continue with school?
    A: I’ll be working out in Chicago. Most of my classes are online. While I’m in Chicago I’ll be finishing online with my classes. I’m definitely finishing these classes because I definitely want to come back and get my degree. … You’re not going to play basketball forever, so when you do hang up your shoes, hang up your jersey, you do want to have something to look back on.

Q: Are you excited about the next step?
    A: I’m real excited (smiles). I know it’s going to be tough, but it’s the next level. You gotta grow up.

Q: What have scouts been telling you? Have you gotten any feedback?
    A: No feedback yet, but I know what I need to do. I need to get bigger, get a lot stronger. My jumpshot needs to get up there.

Q: Have you picked a place where you’d like to go?
    A: Anywhere I can get some playing time.

Q: Is there a certain game or practice where it clicked that the next level might be a possibility?
    A: During practices and all games I try to have that mentality that I can play with the big boys. You have to have that mentality and go out there and say you can hang and bang with the big boys at the next level.

Q: What will you miss the most about this whole experience?
    A: Just the whole Arizona program, period. When I first got here there were a lot of doubters because I wasn’t really known … but I just went out there and worked hard at what I wanted to do. … This place helped me grow up to be the man that I am.

Q: Have you given much thought to how much money you’re about to make?
    A: (Smiles) I think about that, man. I really think about that. I never thought I’d be in this position I’m in right now, and I’m definitely not going to take it for granted. What I came through, I feel I earned it.

Q: Is there somebody in the NBA you model your game after?
    A: I have players I enjoy watching – Kevin Garnett, Amar’e (Stoudemire). But I just want to go out there and play my game. I just want to go out there and have kids say they want to be like me -ÿbe like Jordan Hill. I just want to go out there and have fun.