No. 7 Arizona overcomes shoddy start, defeats Stanford 73-66

Despite a shoddy start, No. 7 Arizona pulled out a 73-66 win against Stanford on Wednesday night.

The Cardinal opened the game 10-0, but an efficient second half, the emergence of little-used big man Angelo Chol and a season-high scoring effort Mark Lyons gave the Wildcats the edge in the end.

Chol, a sophomore, grabbed a career-high eight rebounds and scored a basket with 4:05 remaining that gave Arizona the lead and put the game away for good.

He came into the game getting only 17.8 minutes per game, but with freshman Grant Jerrett out with a foot injury, Chol played a career-high 24 minutes and snared three offensive boards. Brandon Ashley also fouled out after playing 13 minutes total with 6:40 left in the second half, which also factored into Chol’s increased play time.

Arizona (20-2, 8-1 Pac-12) shot 15-of-25 (60 percent) in the second half, and were led by Lyons’ 25 points on 9-of-13 shooting, his best scoring effort since he scored 27 for Xavier on Jan. 25 last year.

The Wildcats comeback came on the heels of a 14-3 run with 5:43 remaining that put the game away. Solomon Hill helped by scoring 12 of Arizona’s final 21 points, and he finished with a season-high 23 on 7-of-13 shooting.

In the first half, Arizona shot 3-of-11 from long range and 10-of-29 (34.5 percent) overall with seven turnovers.

The Cardinal (14-9, 5-5) opened the game hitting four of their first seven long balls, but came back down to earth in hitting 3-of-12 the rest of the way. Aaron Bright, a junior guard, came into Wednesday’s contest hitting just 28.7 percent of his 3-pointers, but managed to hit 4-of-7 against Arizona’s pourous long-range defense. Dwight Powell added a team-high 24 points, 10 rebounds and four assists for Stanford.

Kevin Parrom, who was ejected early from Saturday’s win against Washington State because of a flagrant foul, played 32 minutes against the Cardinal and garnered eight points and a team-high eight rebounds for the UA.

Arizona will next take on California at 5 p.m. on Sunday at McKale Center.