Track and field team hires throws coach

The Arizona men’s and women’s track and field squad has finally found the perfect fit for the open throws coach position: former Utah State throws coach Craig Carter.

Carter will replace former throws coach John Frazier, who left to take a coaching position with the Tennessee women’s track and field program.

Carter, who has 12 years of coaching experience under his belt, was chosen for his commitment to family life, recruiting abilities and positive coaching style, said Fred Harvey, the UA track and field coach.

“”We needed a person who could command respect,”” Harvey said. “”And he fits into our program really well.””

Harvey had originally targeted Doug Reynolds, a former UA discus thrower and shot putter, for the position.

However, he landed Carter, who spent 10 years coaching the Aggies and is now training No. 1-ranked female shot-putter Jill Camarena, a former Stanford thrower and current competitor in the upcoming IAAF World Cup of Athletics in Athens.

He will leave for the World Cup Sunday and said he is excited about his new position.

“”I think I have a lot to offer as far as the mental side of preparing for track meets,”” Carter said. “”I know I can get athletes ready to compete at top levels.””

During his tenure at Utah State, Carter helped seven indoor and outdoor athletes become national qualifiers.

He also said he hopes to bring his experience as a former two-time NCAA All-American and as one of Utah State’s top recruiters to Arizona.

“”At Utah State I had a lot of success recruiting top athletes,”” Carter said. “”But being in a place like Arizona, it’s not going to be as hard getting top throwers.””

Overall, Harvey said he thinks Carter will be a great asset to the squad that’s seen many top-notch throwers, including senior All-American discus thrower Adam Kuehl and ’06 senior All-American shot-putter Sean Shields.

“”He is going to continue our tradition of having a great throwing team,”” Harvey said. “”But he is going to add his own flare.””

Carter said his new position will help him get recognized for his coaching achievements.

“”Hopefully I can get my name out there as one of the top throwing coaches,”” he said.