Alumni Association joins current and past students

The UA Alumni Association is keeping it in the family this weekend by inviting current and past students to celebrate their Wildcat heritage.

Along with UA Parents and Family Association, the Alumni Association will host an event for current and past students called the Legacy Luncheon.

“We invite alums who have students now at the UA to do a ceremony where we welcome the student into the Wildcat family,” said Jill Hall, director of student and alumni relations. “It’s also done to show there is a legacy that goes from your parents to the students and hopefully to the next generation.”

The luncheon starts at noon on Saturday in the Rincon Room of the Student Union Memorial Center. It is $20 per person to attend the event and families can RSVP through the UA Alumni Association website.

“It’s kind of a nice way to have the parents come back and see how the campus has changed,” Hall said. “For a lot of them, it is the first time they have been here since graduating, and now they are taking their kids to school. It is important to us and we do see a lot of families come back.”

Philip May, a UA alumnus and former Associated Students of the University of Arizona president in 1980, will be a keynote speaker at the event.

May’s daughter, Elizabeth May, a communication junior, and Charlie May, an undeclared freshman, both attend the UA now.

“The kids have grown up knowing about the UA,” May said. “It becomes a family tradition when your family members go to school here.”

May will be one of the many parents attending Family Weekend. He said that by doing so, he will be able to spend time with his kids who have been away from home.

“I think the best part about Family Weekend is that it gets parents on campus and it gives them an opportunity to see how engaged the students are because they (the parents) are not living that experience,” May said. “But if they come to the (UA) Mall and see what it looks like on a Saturday or game day, they have some sense of why their kids are excited to be here.”