Five astounding stats behind Arizona football’s rout of Texas Tech

Running+back%2C+Gary+Brightwell+%2823%29%2C+grasping+the+ball+as+Texas+Tech+attempts+a+tackle.+Saturday+nights+game+ended+with+a+score+of+28-14+making+the+Wildcats+2-1.+
Ana Beltran
Running back, Gary Brightwell (23), grasping the ball as Texas Tech attempts a tackle. Saturday night’s game ended with a score of 28-14 making the Wildcats 2-1.

Arizona football defeated Texas Tech by a final score of 28-14. Here are five crucial stats behind the team’s second win of the season.

15-21

The Wildcats were 15-21 on third-down conversions, which is astounding considering the fact that they went 9-14 last week against NAU. In the first half of action, Arizona went 6-for-11 on third downs. Texas Tech went 7-for-17 on third-down conversions on the night.

84

Khalil Tate’s 84-yard rushing touchdown broke his previous record of 82 yards, which happened against Washington State in his 2017 season. Tate’s rush broke the 2000-yard mark for his career, the first quarterback ever to do that in Arizona program history.

RELATED: Defense carries Arizona football to its second win of the season

99

Arizona’s offense drove 99 yards on their last drive of the game, which took a total of 13 plays and lasted 7:10. Every single play on that drive was a run play, which contributed heavily to the 314 yards rushing on the night.

“That’s an offensive lineman’s dream,” senior offensive lineman Cody Creason said on Arizona’s 99-yard drive. “To be able to block for my running backs that entire drive was great. Coaches have been preaching that we need to finish our blocks and we did that on our last drive.” 

5000/2000

Khalil Tate crossed the 5000-yard passing, 2000-yard rushing threshold, becoming the first quarterback ever in Arizona football history to do so. We have become accustomed to seeing this kind of play from Tate, especially after his breakout season in 2017. This stat is definitely a huge step for Tate and should be a momentum-builder going into conference play.

37

Arizona had a total of 37 yards of penalties only on 5 penalties. This was a huge step up from last week against NAU where they had 11 penalties for 127 yards. Head Coach Kevin Sumlin preached last week that their discipline for penalties needed to step up coming into this game and that’s what they did. Texas Tech had a total of 7 penalties for 60 yards on the night.

Follow Austin Wales on Twitter.