Campaigns under way for ASUA elections

TAYLOR HOUSE / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Sexual responsibility week on the mall.
    TAYLOR HOUSE / Arizona Daily Wildcat Sexual responsibility week on the mall.

For most students, 4 a.m. is too early. For the student government candidates at the dawn of this year’s election season, it’s a head start.

Though the UA Mall usually doesn’t see much traffic before sunrise, more than 100 students clutching fistfuls of fliers yesterday bounced back and forth between UA buildings like pinballs, hanging posters in classrooms and on kiosks for Associated Students of the University of Arizona candidates.

Michelle Gregory, an executive vice president candidate, arrived on campus at 5 a.m. to hang posters with Sen. Matthew Boepple and another friend. Boepple is acting as Gregory’s campaign manager and also running for re-election as a senator.

“”We didn’t get much sleep,”” Gregory said.

At 6 a.m. in front of Old Main, more than 60 friends and supporters donning yellow bandanas on their heads and arms listened to current-Executive Vice President Erin Hertzog, who is running for student body president, while she explained the flier-placement rules.

One flier is allowed per classroom and on each side of a kiosk. The posters may not block one another, hence the early morning rush for bulletin space.

Hertzog advised the group to hang them around classroom clocks, an area that tends to monopolize student attention.

ASUA Sen. Jami Reinsch, a candidate for administrative vice president, is campaigning with Hertzog, and the two candidates drew many supporters from their sorority, Alpha Phi.

“”We got up early to help out because we know them both personally,”” said Ashley Scull, a sophomore majoring in communication and Spanish and an Alpha Phi member. “”If everyone knew them, they’d know they are the right people for the job.””

The largest campaign alignment comprises presidential nominee Matt Van Horn, Sen. Rhonda Tubbs, who is running for executive vice president, and four others.

Senatorial candidates Shawn Ingram, Melodie Schwartz, Lauren Conway and Jessica Anderson joined Van Horn, Tubbs and about 35 supporters to hang posters.

Van Horn said the first day of election season is important because it’s the spark that gets people excited about campaigns.

“”It’s the first time you can really be a candidate and say ‘Hi, I’m running for student body president,'”” Van Horn said.

Although candidates do not run on a ticket system, they can endorse one another and pool together manpower and non-monetary resources.

Sen. Patrick Cook, an executive vice president candidate, said his current experience in ASUA gives him an idea of which candidates would be most qualified.

Cook said he is currently supporting Hertzog for president, Reinsch for administrative vice president and senate candidates Astrid Henao and Mark Adams.

Once the campaign posters have been hung, the next step for those running is getting out and talking to students, Schwartz said.

“”Now we’re trying to establish a bridge between ourselves and the students,”” Schwartz said. “”That’s the best thing we can do.””