Police Beat: Nov. 19

Woman found sleeping in restroom next to empty bottle of vodka

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to the Student Union Memorial Center at 7:07 a.m. Tuesday morning to make contact with a woman who was sleeping in a stall of the women’s restroom on the second level. The officer noticed an empty fifth of Smirnoff vodka lying next to her. He tapped the woman on the foot, waking her up. The officer asked if she was OK, and she replied, “”Yes. I’m just cold.””

The woman was not carrying any identification and she verbally identified herself with her full name and date of birth that implied she was 26 years old.

The officer asked her how she ended up sleeping in the restroom. She said that she had been cold last night and did not have anywhere to go. She could not remember what time she had gone into the bathroom, and denied the bottle of vodka was hers. Dispatch then advised the officer the woman had an outstanding warrant from the Tucson Police Department.

The woman was taken under full custodial arrest. She was booked into jail for violation of promise to appear in court. The woman was also carrying three prescription medications with her. All were given to the jail.

The woman received a verbal warning from the officer for sleeping in the student union.

Accomplished candy bar thief tries to branch out, gets caught

A UAPD officer met with a security employee from the UofA Bookstore at about 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, who explained he had been observing the security cameras when he saw a woman take two packs of pens and place them in the front pocket of her sweatshirt. The woman then grabbed a poster board, paid for it and began walking out of the building with the pens still in her pocket. The security employee caught up to her and took her into the conference room until the UAPD officer arrived.

The officer spoke with the woman in the conference room as she sat at a table. She identified herself as a UA student with her CatCard and gave her date of birth.

The woman explained she had a school project she was working on that required a certain type of pen and poster board. She only had enough money for the poster board, but not enough to purchase the pens, so she paid for the poster board but slipped the pens into her front pocket and attempted to walk out without paying for them. When the officer asked her if she had ever stolen anything before, she said, “”I’ve stolen, like, a million candy bars from Wal-mart when I was a little kid.””

The officer placed the woman under arrest for shoplifting. Bookstore security advised her that she was no longer welcome at the bookstore and that if she is ever seen there again she will be arrested. She was cited and released without incident.

Bad day to be driving a Chevy SUV

A UAPD officer was driving southbound on Park Avenue on Tuesday when he heard a Tucson Police broadcast in regards to a shooting that occurred. They were looking for a group of four people who had been involved in the shooting in the east side of the city. According to the dispatch on the radio, they had left the scene at a high rate of speed in a Chevy SUV.

While the UAPD officer was listening to the broadcast, he saw a gold Chevy Tahoe parked in the Circle K parking lot. The Tahoe was parked next to a small covered patio area. The officer also noticed that this parking space would not have been easily seen from the inside of the store.

The officer went into the parking lot and got the license plate number, which he provided to dispatch. He also requested that they contact TPD and request more information related to the vehicle.

A few minutes later, two officers from TPD arrived to assist the officer on scene. The UAPD officer, with the other officers present, went up to the driver’s side of the gold Tahoe. He noticed that their engine was still running. There was a man in the driver’s seat and a woman in the front passenger’s seat.

The officer explained to the man that an incident had happened involving a matching vehicle. The officer then asked for the man’s identification and the man provided an Arizona driver’s license. As the officer spoke with the man, he asked him to turn his engine off. The UAPD officer explained to the TPD officers that he had heard the reference over the radio that had left a shooting scene and then saw this vehicle. He had been unsure if it was the actual car in question.

Tucson Police indicated that they would handle the rest of the investigation.

Not going to the Rec Center anymore …

A student contacted UAPD to report that he lost his CatCard sometime between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday. He explained to police that he probably lost it in the Physics and Atmospheric Sciences building, where he had stopped by on his way to the Student Recreation Center. He said that he is not sure whether or not he left it in the building. The officer he spoke to on the phone advised the student to contact the CatCard offices and let them know his card is lost.