Pass Fail

PASS: Questionable cuisine?

After a rash of food-related recalls last semester, students can be forgiven for approaching their cuisine with a little caution. The list, after all, was as long as it was varied: spinach, lettuce and even strawberries from Jamba Juice were thrown out after they were discovered to be hosting one ominous kind of bacteria or another. It’s comforting, then, that the UA’s Student Unions have received exemplary marks for their food sanitation, receiving either “”good”” or “”excellent”” ratings for the last year. For keeping our food safe (and clean), the student unions get a Pass.

INCOMPLETE: The audacity of hope

Senatorial superstar Barack Obama rocked the political world this week after he announced that, yes, he is indeed considering a presidential bid in 2008. The hoopla is understandable: Obama is considered one of the most engaging and charismatic Democratic leaders since Bill Clinton. But the freshman senator from Illinois has yet to go beyond the hype. His voting record in the U.S. Senate has been more liberal than Hillary Clinton, but he hasn’t really articulated a clear vision or platform beyond the usual feel-good platitudes. Until the glitzy senator flashes his policy mettle (and not just his media-friendly smile), Sen. Obama gets an Incomplete.

PASS: Arizona, the final (scientific) frontier

It’s been an eventful year already for UA research. Google teamed up with the UA and several other universities to launch a new telescope project, UA scientists are at the vanguard of exciting new stem cell research and UA researchers are using cutting-edge telemedicine technology to monitor a man swimming up the Amazon. The UA has always been noted for its top-notch astronomy research, but it would appear the other sciences are making their impact known as well. For adding additional luster to the university’s pedigree, the UA’s latest research breakthroughs get a Pass.

FAIL: Students, students, go away, come back another day

Second semester of senior year is supposed to be a breeze, a chance for grizzled college veterans to ride into the sunset. Not so for seven students in the Journalism Department. Yesterday, the Arizona Daily Wildcat reported that seven journalism students will not be graduating in May because they are unable to get into a required course. The department’s response? Better luck next year. With a situation this dire, it’s time for the department to offer creative solutions, not additional apologies or half-measures. For leaving journalism seniors in a bind, the Journalism Department gets a Fail.

Editorials are determined by the Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Justyn Dillingham, Damion LeeNatali, Stan Molever, Nicole Santa Cruz and Matt Stone.