First Lady, best wardrobe

Olivier Douliery/TNS
    First Lady Michelle Obama participates in a community service project at Leckie Elementary School in celebration of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and in honor of Dr. King’s life and legacy on Monday, Jan. 18, 2016, in Washington, D.C. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

Whether you like her or not, you have to admit — Michelle Obama has impeccable style.

Not only is Obama the first lady of the United States, a Harvard Law School graduate and nutrition advocate, but she is also famous for having a distinct, colorful style. She has even been featured on the cover of Vogue magazine twice thanks to her look.

At each event she intends, Obama always impresses nationwide with her wardrobe, most noticeably at the State of the Union address on Jan. 12, 2016 when she wore a bright yellow sleeveless dress by American fashion designer Narciso Rodriguez. Obama’s fashion endorsement led to the dress selling out before the end of her husband’s speech.

“I think Michelle is a very classy lady,” said Noah Sanders, a global studies freshman. “Whatever she wears always looks good on her and she is always really confident.”

What is the key to success for Obama? Her style advisor is Ikram Goldman, store owner of ikam in Chicago. The boutique carries several American, Japanese and European labels that Obama has worn to several events including election night, the Inaugural ball and different State of the Union addresses.

Some of Obama’s favorite designers are Jason Wu, Isabel Toledo and Thakoon Panichgul. Wu designed Obama’s one-shoulder, white chiffon dress that she wore at the 2009 inaugural ball immediately after her husband assumed office for the first time.

Famed wedding gown designer Vera Wang designed a custom, black mermaid gown for Obama at the China state dinner in 2015. A photo of Obama wearing the dress on Instagram received nearly 138,000 likes and 6,000 comments.

But Obama does not just wear high-end designers. In fact, what makes her style so inspiring is that she combines her taste with several brands. During an appearance on the “Today” show in February 2011, Obama wore a flattering black and white polka-dot dress with a cinched red waist. What may be surprising to many is that she actually bought the dress at H&M — for just $34.95.

“Michelle Obama has amazing style,” said Matthew Rein, a political science freshman. “I don’t know much about fashion, but she always seems super fashionable and definitely 21st century. She looks like she’s the first lady in 2016, not 1976.”

When Obama is not attending high-profile events, she usually sports trendy trousers and skirts, especially when promoting her Let’s Move! national nutrition campaign.

The U.S. will elect a new president by the end of 2016, but it will be difficult for the next FLOTUS — or FMOTUS — to top Obama’s stylish looks.

Follow Chloe Durand on Twitter.