B-listers rule in Last House

What if someone you loved was raped and shot? What if the people responsible were staying in your own home? This is the scenario in the suspense remake of Wes Craven’s “”Last House on the Left.””

“”Last House on the Left”” begins with a simple family vacation at a lake house. Mari Collingwood (Sara Paxton) goes into town to meet up with her friend, Paige (Martha MacIsaac). Unfortunately, the two girls are abducted and assaulted by Krug (Garret Dillahunt) and his crew. However, as fate would have it, Krug and his crew are forced to stay overnight at the house of Mari’s family. Emma and John Collingwood (Monica Potter and Tony Goldwyn) unknowingly take in Krug and company, but when they find out that Krug is responsible for horrendous acts done to Mari, things start to get interesting.

First off, the cinematography was reminiscent of Jerry Bruckheimer’s “”National Treasure.”” The director, Dennis Iliadis, used these camera angles and music to create tension throughout the movie. Even in seemingly meaningless scenes like when Emma is giving hot chocolate to Krug’s son, I could feel tension and suspense. The acting in this movie was very good considering it was mostly made up of B list actors. Martha MacIsaac jumped from playing party girl Becca in “”Superbad”” to fighter Paige in “”Last House on the Left.”” Seeing someone play one type of role for the rest of their career is boring and it’s great to see actors branch out to new roles. Tony Goldwyn did an outstanding job playing the kick ass father. Let’s not leave out Monica Potter as she does a terrific job of showing that even moms can kick ass. As far as remakes go, this one was very good. However, it still does not surpass the original.