Police Beat

The University of Arizona Police Department assisted the Tucson Police Department with an investigation regarding shots fired near North Euclid Avenue and East First Street at 1:03 a.m. Sunday.

Police responded to the Kappa Alpha fraternity house, 906 N. First Ave., to talk to a witness who saw an unknown man firing a black semi-automatic handgun into the air at the northwest corner of the intersection.

The man said he was inside the fraternity house when he heard three or four shots ring out from behind the house, near the alley. He went outside and heard someone say, “”What the fuck are you doing here?”” and then another three to four shots fired, according to reports. After these shots, the man, along with about seven friends, headed eastbound toward campus.

UAPD passed the information on to TPD, who took over the case.

Police arrested a man for possession of marijuana and being a minor in possession of spirituous liquor just before 10 p.m. Thursday near the corner of North Cherry Avenue and East Sixth Street.

Police officers on patrol on the top level of Tyndall Avenue Garage, 880 E. Fourth St., saw a white Jeep fail to stop at two stops signs. The officers clocked the driver’s car going 50 mph in a 35-mph zone and pulled it over.

Inside the car were five men. When the driver rolled down the window, the officers could smell a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle. The driver told an officer that he had a knife in the glove box, and the officer said that was OK but that he should not touch the knife.

The officers told the man they could smell marijuana in the car, and the man told them that the marijuana was not his and that they could search the car. One of the officers found a black Gucci sunglasses case containing 5.7 grams of marijuana underneath the front passenger seat.

Police questioned all of the men about the marijuana, and all but one denied ownership of the marijuana. One of the men said that the marijuana belonged to the fifth passenger. Police asked this man if the Gucci case was his, and the man said, “”I don’t wear Gucci,”” according to reports.

When police asked him a second time, he answered, “”I don’t have sunglasses,”” according to reports.

The man finally admitted to owning the marijuana and told the officer he had lost his license because of a DUI and that is why he lied.

When the officer asked what was in a dufflebag in the car, the man said, according to reports, “”Alcohol. Would you like it?””

The officer said yes, and the man retrieved a 30-pack of Coors Light beer and a bottle of Captain Morgan rum.

The marijuana’s owner was cited and released at the scene.

The alcohol was disposed of, and the marijuana was placed into evidence.

Two boys were arrested for criminal nuisance when police found two urine puddles on the floor of the Ina E. Gittings building, 1737 E. University Blvd., at 4:42 p.m. Thursday.

Police were called to the building because of unwanted people reported inside the gym of the Gittings building.

Police found seven high school students playing basketball in the dark. All of the boys denied knowing anything about the puddles of urine.

The boys told police they had been playing at the gym a couple of days a week for the past few months and that a “”lady in McKale”” gives them a basketball they return after every time they play, according to reports.

The officers talked to the boys separately about who urinated in the hallway, and one of the boys said it was the boy in “”the blue shirt and the sweater,”” because he was laughing and talking about how he peed in the hallway, according to reports.

The boy in the blue shirt said he did not urinate in the hallway and that “”I say a lot of things, that doesn’t make it true. Everybody says lies,”” according to reports.

Two of the boys were cited and released to their mothers, and the other five were told not to return to the gym.

A 15-year-old girl was arrested the evening of Oct. 10 for an outstanding TPD warrant she had for running away from home.

Police saw the girl walking on the street with a bottle in each hand. As police passed the girl in a patrol vehicle, she hid the bottles in front of her and then threw what turned out to be 12-ounce Bud Light beers into an alley. When police stopped the girl, she said she was only 15 and that she was a runaway.

She admitted to drinking beer at a house. She then gave police a pack of cigarettes she had in her purse.

A TPD officer arrived and arrested the girl.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu>.