PO BEAT: 11/23/16

Stolen snacks

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a shoplifting call at the Circle K on Sixth Street and Cherry Avenue on Nov. 9. 

The store’s assistant manager said a man had left the store and went over to the UA football stadium after taking ice cream and candy.

Officers left and saw the man fitting the assistant manager’s description crossing Sixth Street by the Parking and Transportation building. The officer stopped the man by Fairwheel Bikes. 

The man told the officer he had shoplifted because he was hungry; he showed the officer a 6-ounce bag of Reese’s Pieces. The man said he was homeless, was recently released from prison and didn’t have money.

Circle K wanted to press charges, and the man had a warrant for a Pima County Sheriff Department misdemeanor assault-domestic violence. 

The man was identified as the subject from the Circle K assistant manager. He was arrested and taken to Pima County Jail. 

The total loss to Circle K was $5.57.

Student visit gone wrong

UAPD officers saw four women walking along Cherry Avenue and saw that one of the women was drinking from a can on Nov. 11. Another woman in the group looked to be swaying as she walked. 

When the officer headed toward the women, one woman put a can of beer on the ground. The officer saw that each woman had glassy eyes, and the women said they were all under the age of 21 when asked. 

Two women were identified as UA students, another was identified as an Arizona State University student and the final woman said she was a UA student. The woman who had been swaying sat on the ground and started vomiting. 

The officer called Tucson Fire Department and could not find the fourth woman in their records, but she showed her Facebook profile, which had her name and picture, to the officer. The women said they went to a party at a fraternity house and two of the women drank alcohol before arriving at the fraternity. 

Two of the woman were diverted for a minor in possession, and TFD took the woman who had thrown up to Banner University Medical Center. The ASU student was cited and released for minor in possession. 

The officer later couldn’t find a driver’s license for the woman who had shown her Facebook profile, but when checking her Facebook profile, the officer learned that she was a high school senior from Texas. 

The officer talked to the woman on the phone, and she confirmed it and said she was sorry. She had been in town with her family checking out the UA campus. The officer spoke with the woman’s step-father and said UAPD wouldn’t pursue criminal charges. The woman taken to BUMC was diverted.