The Wildcats lose to the Cougars by 26 points

Nathanial Stenchever

Chandler Kelly, a sophomore on the Arizona football team, celebrates after taking the lead in the fourth quarter on Nov. 6, at Arizona Stadium. The Wildcats went on to win the game 10-3 snapping the 20 game losing streak.

The Arizona football team lost to the Washington State Cougars on senior night by a score of 44-18 in Pullman, Washington, on Nov. 19.

The Cougars struck first on their second possession after a 26-yard touchdown run from senior Max Borghi. The successful extra point attempt made the score 7-0 Cougars. The elements played a role in the game as fog made visibility a struggle.

The Wildcats defense looked strong in the first possession and responded to the touchdown by forcing another punt. When they did get the ball back they were able to get into field goal range but Luke Havrisik missed from 50 yards. Havrisik recently tied his record of 57-yards. 

The Wildcats moved the ball well but couldn’t convert. Through the first quarter, Arizona out-gained Washington with more first downs. Towards the middle of the second quarter, the Wildcats were forced to punt but it was blocked by Tanner Moku giving the Cougars great field position, and were soon in the red zone. 

RELATED: Arizona MBB beats Wichita State in OT

Jayden De Laura completed an 8-yard touchdown pass to Travell Harris to make the score 14-0 towards the end of the first half. Arizona got the ball on the 10-yard line with four minutes left. On the first play, Drake Anderson found a gap and took it 71 yards up the middle into the red zone. On fourth down and short Will Plummer threw into the back of the end zone and Boobie Curry got it over the cornerback cutting the deficit in half. 

Washington responded with a long touchdown pass to Calvin Jackson Jr. from De Laura to make the score 21-7 with a minute and a half left in the first half. 

The Cougars struck first again in the second half with a 6 play 69-yard drive. The touchdown was a 12-yard run by Max Borghi. His second touchdown made the score 28-7 as the gap grew large. The Cougars made that gap larger on the next Arizona possession with a blocked punt by Joey Hobert causing a safety to make the score 30-7. 

With eight minutes left in the third quarter, Washington scored again to make it 37-7. The pass was caught by Travell Harris for eight yards as they started to run away with the game. The Wildcats responded with a 42-yard field goal from Tyler Loop, the score 37-10. 

The Wildcats scored again on fourth down as Michael Wiley catches the short pass from Plummer and ran it about 25 yards for the touchdown. Plummer’s pass to Dorian Singer was complete for the two-point conversion making the score 37-18. The Wildcats moved the ball well and had some huge plays but the defense couldn’t stop the Cougars. 

Washington make it a four-score game with a 78-yard touchdown pass to Calvin Jackson Jr. making the final score 44-18. 

Follow Cole Johnson on Twitter