Assistant DA found dead in Matamoros

Cameron County Assistant District Attorney Arturo Jose Iniguez’s death in Matamoros during the weekend continues under investigation.

“”The information we have at this point is that no weapon was used,”” District Attorney Armando R. Villalobos said in a written statement to the Brownsville Herald, addressing unconfirmed reports that the death might have been a suicide.

“”We are still not ready to call it a suicide,”” Villalobos said.

“”Iniguez’s death is considered an open and on-going investigation, which our office is reviewing,”” Villalobos said earlier.

Iniguez, 26, of Rancho Viejo, had been promoted earlier this month to first chair misdemeanor attorney. He first joined the district attorney’s office in 2007 as a law clerk, while attending law school.

Iniguez is survived by his wife Lorena Garza Iniguez and 2-year-old daughter Camila. Villalobos said that funeral arrangements are pending.

Iniguez received his Bachelor’s of Business Administration in Finance from The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College, graduating Cum Laude in 2006. He was on the Dean’s List and both a member of the South Texas Pre-Law Society and Alpha Chi National College Scholarship Honor Society.

He was a graduate of the University of Houston Law Center in December 2009 where he was a member of the student bar association and the Hispanic Law Students Association.

Regarding travel to Mexico in the midst of increasing violence in the neighboring country from warring drug cartels, Villalobos said that the office does not have a formal policy on travel to Mexico.

“”We advise our employees not to make it known that they are employed by the DA’s Office if they do travel to Mexico. We additionally discourage travel into Mexico; however, many of our employees have family in Mexico, so a complete ban of travel into Mexico is impracticable,”” Villalobos said.

For more on this story read Tuesday’s Brownsville Herald.