Real Apartment Reviews: Hub and Urbane

Daniyal Ashad

Hub and Urbane (previously known as Hub 2) are luxury off-campus housing on Tyndall Avenue.

While still very close to campus, Hub at Tucson and Urbane (previously known as Hub 2) are two off-campus housing options for UA students.

Urbane is the newest. It was being built over the summer and just opened this year. These two apartment complexes are located across the street from Sol Y Luna and are close enough to campus that many of the residents walk or bike to class.

Hub’s website says it has “resort-style living only a few blocks from campus,” and with that comes resort-style prices. You can share a room with someone at The Hub for $635 each a month, but to have a private room costs at least $920 per person every month.

Lauren Fitzpatrick, a general studies sophomore, said she loves living at Hub. “It’s really fun,” Fitzpatrick said. “I love my room, and living here is so close to everywhere.”

She said she has enjoyed her experience at Hub so far, but she also said “it gets dirty really fast with all the parties.”

Kelsey Ropte, a sophomore majoring in retail and consumer science, moved into Hub at the beginning of this school year.

“It’s good, I guess,” Ropte said. “The management is OK. There’s a leak in our hallway and it’s been leaking for two weeks.” She also said the elevators were “constantly broken.”

RELATED: Residents tell us what it’s really like living at Sol Y Luna

Charlie Felix, a sophomore majoring in urban and regional development, has been living in Hub since August. “There’s not many problems,” Felix said. “I like it a lot. There’s a lot of amenities, a lot of stuff to do.” However, Felix also said it takes a long time to get things fixed when they break.

Hub employs student workers who live at the complex, and Hannah Cameron, a communication senior, is one of those residents. She has been living at Hub since it opened three years ago and said she really likes it. “I love the atmosphere,” Cameron said. “It’s a really beautiful property, as well. I think they do a really great job here.”

Matt Treston, a pre-business freshman, also had good things to say about Hub. “As far as student accommodation goes, I think it’s one of the best,” Treston said.

Right next to Hub is Urbane, which has “inclusive rent packages, amazing amenities and a thriving resident community,” according to its website. Some of these amenities include a rooftop pool, a game lounge and a fitness center. The least expensive room is $885/month per person, and that means sharing three bathrooms between five people.

Sydney Kitsis, a marketing senior, said Urbane is “really nice” and likes how convenient the location is. “The management is always on top of things, but the pricing is too high for what it is,” Kitsis said.

RELATED: Residents get real about UA student housing

Zoe Wolkowitz, a journalism senior, moved from Hub to Urbane this year and prefers it over the former. “It’s run 10 times better here,” Wolkowitz said. “I like it, it’s the best of the four on campus [between the Hub, Urbane, Sol, Luna] and the expenses are worth it. It’s worth the extra money because they take care of everything for you.”

Talia Sabbath, a pre-business sophomore, has been living in Urbane since it opened in August. “It only gets loud on Thursdays,” Sabbath said. “It’s not that bad, but it gets dirty really quickly.”

Follow Taylor Brestel on Twitter.